starting up - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

starting up

Hi there! So I really want to get a kitten/young cat, possibly two. I've never owned a cat before, but a. since I've wanted a cat for a very long time and b. I lo-o-o-ve planning things and getting organized, so I've done a lot of reading.

As another intro, I'm a college student, and I will be living in an apartment (well, really, the first story of a house) that permits cats and as far as I know, does not demand that they be declawed. At least, there's nothing in the contract about cats being declawed, so kitty will be keeping their claws. And I know that college students don't necessarily have a "stable" living situation but I have looked into living situations in my top three grad schools--and if I don't get into a grad school I actually want to go to, I'll be staying where I am and working--and all have housing options available that permit pets, and I've looked into moving house and cats. Also other than class, I'm usually at home, and I will have a roommate as well (who is also excited about kitty).

Anyway one of my current concerns is, one kitty or two? The main thing that is a concern here is the money, and things like vet bills, which obviously aren't a monthly cost (hopefully...) but could pack a punch.

I know "start-up" fees will be a chunk:

100 for a kitten/young cat, 150 for a pair (includes spay/neuter, vaccinations, necessary worm treatment, FeLV test, FIV test for 6 months +)
One-ish-time costs like carriers, food/water bowls, nail clippers, litter boxes/scoops, home set-up things

Then there's monthly costs for food and litter (and flea treatment?), and of course the toys that I won't be able to resist getting XD the cat/s will be indoor, and I don't think I can do raw at this point in time so they'll be eating canned. About how much would this add up to per month? I also have no real idea of how much litter 1 cat would go through, or 2, all I know is that litter can come in 40-pound bags!

I've been looking at foods like Merrick BG and Innova. Wellness CORE looks good, but also quite expensive. I know Innova comes in those monster cans, which might be helpful (if they like it!) for two kittens. We've got a Mounds Warehouse around here that carries lots, and I've seen mentions on here of petfooddirect, which looks good as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated (and sorry for the long, slightly confusing, slightly rambling post XD)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page