Just curious-a toe question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Just curious-a toe question

My cat has this weird 'callous' that grows off his pad on the outside toe of his back foot. It really gets ridiculous looking. He typically gets annoyed by it after a while and pulls it off himself with his teeth. This past time though, it was getting out of control again, almost an inch long. (keep in mind it grows horizontally, so it doesn't effect him physically by hindering his movements, nor has it ever caused him to limp)

I decided, when I was clipping his nails, that if he can bite it off, I should try trimming it. I did, got in there with the cat trimmers, and nipped it off about 1/8" from the pad. He wasn't upset by this, nor did it bleed, and I was surprised to see that beneath it, was a normal pink healthy paw pad. Strange huh?

The last time I trimmed it off was about 6 months ago, and it continues to grow back and get trimmed, by him or me, every month or so. I've asked the vet and he didn't seem concerned when he saw it either, yet I wasn't given any explanation of it, or what it is. Anyone else have a cat with a weird toe? lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Cat Addict

Torri gets these. Hers grow from the front of her toe-pads out, like reverse claws almost. I trim them when I trim her claws. She doesn't care. I missed one for a while and it gre until it met her claw, that bothered her quite a bit and she seemed quite relieved when i trimmed it back.

I've asked my vet as well and the consensus seems to be that if it doesn't bug them it's not a big deal. It's kinda cool though..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Cat

Boo has one on his pinky toe and my first vet said it was a extra claw.I just trim his back some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Cat

yeti's most likely father, has false claws on all his front feet pads, they get trimmed when they start to get long..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000498.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	2850  

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Cool Cat

I've never seen such a thing much less heard of it - Ilearn something new about cats everytime I log on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page