Bonding with your pet. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Bonding with your pet.

So, I've had lots of pets. I grew up with cats & dogs. I've as an adult owned a dog & now Penny.

BUT, I feel like I have this crazy bond with Penny that I've never had before with a pet since my childhood dog died. I loved all my pets dearly, & when I was an infant my grandparents got a boxer/something we don't know mix from a shelter. She was my very, very best friend until she got cancer & died when I was 13. I took it very badly, I still have her ashes. I also had a doberman at the same time, & have had numerous cats, & another dog since then, but nothing that was as close to the bond I had with my dog. But now, I have that with Penny. I love her so much & I feel like we just get each other so well.

I know, we all love our pets equally, but my question to everyone is, is there one pet you have a different bond with than the others you currently have/have had?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Premier Cat

Absolutely. MowMow is absolutely my heart kitty

I can relate to your attachment to your childhood dog. I had one that was with me through teenager hood/college and into marriage. She was so amazing and I was devastated when she died. I had two other dogs at the time and I loved them but not like my Mini. I didn't think I'd ever feel that attachment again until my fuzzy redhead bullied his way into my life

It's a lovely feeling isn't it?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Premier Cat

Oh defiitely, I've had several what I call special "soul" kittens. As you say, they really "just get each other"----all of them were Manx I raised from kittens, 2 were girls, and 2 were boys. They are all now at the Rainbow Bridge but it was a real wrench when they passed on. I raised many kitties over the years and bought others, but never developed a soul bond with one I bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Cat

Yes, my first cat that I ever owned myself was my soul kitty. His name was Titan. I trained him from six weeks old to be a "guard cat." He always knew when something was wrong with me. He helped me through so much that went on during my life. One day he got out of the house and was shot by my neighbor (purposefully). It's taken me years to get over his death, and even now I feel like a part of me is missing. I haven't really connected to an animal since. My SO hopes that Finnick can help mend the loss of Titan. Admittedly, he does look and act just like him, so maybe he will.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Tom Cat

Yup......I had a 3 dogs growing up, but Betsy was the one I was bonded with. I would read her books when I was very young and she would fall asleep in my lap.
We ended up having to give her away and that was devastating to me as a child.

Then Sumo came along. He was my absolute soul mate. We had a bond and respect for each other that wasn't normal. I look at Yoshi sometimes and start crying.

Yoshi is very special to me and I love him so much. But I don't think the bond will be the same.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Meme was a funny looking stray that the girls rescued where I used to works.
She didn't get along with the other office cat so she chose me to be her special person.
She absolutely adored me and I was helpless against her unconditional love.
I eventually took her home and we were very happy together until she passed away.
O got Samantha to fill the void and it took a while for her to love her new Papa, she was never as demonstrative with her affection as Meme but we still loved each other deeply, she was my constant companion for 15 1/2 years.
I pray that Samantha and Meme are waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Cat Addict

Sinatra, forever.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Senior Cat

Great question!

It would seem that the dog I had the greatest bond with, I have no memory of ... which does sadden me as he died saving me. =(

***warning very sad story ahead but one of my favorite stories ever ***

When my parents were young, married and new parents they had a mutt.. some boxer something or other in it kind of deal... ugly as sin dog too lol

When I was born Rebel took a huge liking to me and never left my side. All of my baby photos have Rebel in them mothering me lol From what I am told by family, he use to lick and groom me as well lol

He was extremely protective of me and gave the evil eye to more then one stranger wanting to touch the baby. hehe
He didn't like people he didn't know near me, which created a bit of a problem with my mom on walks and what not (she was young herself as I am her oldest child)

Due to them being young, they didn't live in the swankiest of joints. This also was in the 60's where young couples had a blast living in ..well dumps lol My dad was at work and my mother walked in the door of this apartment with me in her arms. Some man with a gun grabbed my mom and forced himself into the apartment, grabbing me from my mother to get her attention and to be timid to protect her infant kind of deal.. I was only 12 months old at the time. Rebel saw this man grab me by the arm and heard me scream. He lunged at the guy and ripped his throat pretty bad. In the process this man shot and killed Rebel right in front of me and my mother. Rebel died on the spot with his teeth still in the intruders throat. The guy was bleeding so bad he dropped me and ran out the door. The police found him a few hours later at the hospital.

Extremely sad time for my mother and from what I am told, I took it really hard as a baby. But my mother smiles now about Rebel and how brave he was. She (remember this was over 40 years ago and time does heal) will say he died what he loved doing best, defending his family. Had he not attacked who knows what would have happened and for that she is forever grateful for him.

It seems I was a dog person from birth and ..well.. came to love cats much later hehe
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Aww, all your stories are so touching, & I love the term "soul kitty". I feel like this is absolutely Penny & I know she will get me through a lot in the years to come.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Praline, what an AMAZING story. <3 <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page