My cat changes colors - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My cat changes colors

It's weird. He's a siamese mix and has been doing it since he was maybe 8-9 months old. It started out with the hair that was around his eyes turning a cream color. They stayed like that a few weeks and then faded back to dark brown. Now he often gets random cream colored stripes on his face or legs that will stay for awhile and then fade back to his original color. Right now he has a faint cream colored stripe on his left cheek that started showing maybe 2 weeks ago.

Any reason for that or is he just part chameleon? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Tom Cat

Siamese change colors throughout their life. Sumo's fur right around his eyes would do what yours is doing.....going from white/cream to dark brown and vice versa. We actually attributed that to allergies. He had allergies and it was usually just 1 eye that would do that and that eye would have a booger problem at certain times of the year.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Cool Cat

Interesting! I knew siamese darkened as they reached adulthood, but had wondered if they continued to change past that.

Can they get randomly lighter over time too? And then darker again?

I like the idea that I may have "color-changing" cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Cat

Siamese cats (I use that term lightly...Color point is the color pattern that any cat can have, Siamese is a breed of cat that is known for having the color point pattern) have the Himalayan gene which is a form of albinism. It's a recessive trait, so the cat needs to inherit two copies of it, one from each parent. It restricts pigment based on temperature. Pigment is restricted in warm areas and is shown in cooler areas of the cat. When meezers are born, they are all white because they've been toasty warm inside their mamma. As they grow older, they get darker where their body parts are cooler (face, ears, legs, tail). Often times they'll be darker in the winter than in the summer. After a surgery, if hair was shaved off, it might grow in a lighter/darker color than the rest of the hair until a full shed cycle has been completed. There is also an inherited factor in how dark the cat may get. Siamese breeders make an effort to breed cats that will stay uniformly creamy over their whole body with dark points. Some color point cats will be almost completely colored and just have darker points than the rest of their body.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Kitten

'removed'.

Last edited by Xanti; 06-09-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: links to competing cat sites not permitted.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Senior Cat

when I was growing up(wisconsin) we had a small seal point that seasonally change so much people would think it was a differant cat,, she would go almost completely dark in the winter..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Cool Cat

Now I'm curious to see if Apollo lightens up as the weather gets warmer! We're having an unusually long winter this year, and he got pretty dark this winter. But once summer finally hits, it will be toasty!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

Samantha, my Blue Torbie was frosted, she would look different colors depending upon the angle you were looking at her from.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hmmm well that's all pretty interesting. So about the temperature thing.. Right now we live on a very hot tropical island. We are leaving soon and will be in VA which will be a great deal colder then here obviously. So my Leo might darken after we've been there awhile?

I've seen him change with the shaved thing. He was bitten by a snake and they shaved part of his leg to place an IV. It grew back a different color but eventually went back. He has a black spot on his back right now where I shaved a small spot of hair. It's starting to lighten back up though.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Cat

I just found out that Colonel is what they call a flame point. He is not purebred but has a lot of Siamese in him, He seasonaly changes colors. In the summer his yellow marking are faint. In his winter coat the yellow is much more predominate.

My cats aren't spoilt, Just well loved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page