Feed it, Fix it! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Feed it, Fix it!

Yay!! the shelter I adopted my newest kitty from is sponcering a feed it, fix it program!!!

Basically til the end of June, any stray, feral, or outside cat you feed can be brought in for a free spay/neuter, flea treatment, rabies shot, and a $1 microchipping. They will also get free licenses for outdoor cats.

The shelter is trying to curb the amount of unwanted litters, and I assume the chipping to to keep records on the colonies.

Anyway its a good start.

Now there are these strays down the block from me.... all i have to do is get them in the crate..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Cat Addict

Great program, hope you can take advantage of it.
Are these cats tame enough to pick up and put in a carrier? Otherwise, you might be able to borrow a humane trap.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

yes. Unfortunately they are abandoned house cats. We had someone move into the neighborhood about 6 months ago and she brought several cats with her and then decided she really didn't want them and tossed them out the door. The neighborhood doesn't get to much traffic and people have been feeding them, a few have cat doors or open windows to basements for them to shelter in, but none are fixed, and having 4 strays start dropping litters would soon stretch the good will of people watching over them. I am actually going to go nock on the persons door and see if i can get her to take responsibility for transporting them, but I am not confident this will happen. If not I will start trying to persuade my SO to help me round them up, or maybe one of the neighbors. This is just to good a thing to pass by.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Jr. Cat

Great scheme!

I have to admit - its one of my pet peeves

Feeders!

I work in a privately run clinic, but we have a really good ethos and we never turn an animal away (We just don't advertise this fact!! Or we would be bankrupt!)

Everyday, we get people in, or ringing on the phone.

It always starts with..

'I feed this cat in my garden'

and ends with...

Kittens.

The last lot, woman who knows nothing about cats, doesn't want a cat, has an elderly mother she has to look after, no transport etc

Rang to say the cat she feeds, had 4 kittens in her garden. Its a feral cat, and had scarpered once they went to look, taking one of the kittens, and leaving the others... she hadn't returned in 24hrs, so we had to arrange a taxi for this woman, to have the kittens brought in ... one died within hours and we put the other two down to save them suffering.

We got no money for our efforts of course. When I suggested to the lady that she try and catch the cat and bring it in to us to be spayed... she looked at me incredulously. She had been feeding the cat for a year ... at €1 a day, she could have had it neutered 4x over.

Jeez, since it wasn't her cat, we would have done it at cost ... she could have had it neutered 6x over!

I have issues with people who feed animals! (and won't do anything else!)

If you want to feed ferals? Donate to a feral box charity, who set up feeder boxes to TNR. The boxes are also used for feeding and shelter for ferals with kittens.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I actually agree with you on alot of this. The cats never make it up to my house and currently I have no outside cats I feed. The few I have over the years I have made sure were rehomed and fixed. I just do not want to see a kitten takeover in my neighborhood knowing that in 6 months those kittens will be dropping more, and so down the line.

If the shelter is not over crowded (which it is) i will try to see if they can be put into the next adoption event. If not at least they will be fixed and returned to thier stomping grounds. Since they all were housecats They should be adoptable, Except for kitten season...
I really am not sure who all is feeding them but they are being fed. What I do know is this woman irritates me something fierce for just tossing them out like they were disposable and I don't want them to live short lives pumping out unwanted kittens that will die young. I would really love to see them in a good home. And before anyone asks I am sure she doesn't want them.. She told me so in her own words. Yes I felt like smacking her...but I didn't...

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Cool Cat

That is such a great program!

Bec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page