fur patterns - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

fur patterns

Ok i was reading a few threads on various color patterns of kitty fur. After a bit of debate this is what I came up with.. after a good bath, drying and grooming of my cats...

Sherbert is a Buff ticked tabby.
Pepper is less of a tabby and closer to a mackerel tortie
Archie (name still pending) is a Buff mackerel tabby

now for Jack... well he looks black, except the sprinkling of salt at his age... BUT his skin is white. and his undercoat is a soft grey color, you cannot see this unless you really part the fur though.. Under filtered sunlight or soft light he looks almost chocolate.... any clues what you would call this ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotanyBlack View Post
now for Jack... well he looks black, except the sprinkling of salt at his age... BUT his skin is white. and his undercoat is a soft grey color, you cannot see this unless you really part the fur though.. Under filtered sunlight or soft light he looks almost chocolate.... any clues what you would call this ??
Sounds like Blacky. In some of Blacky's pictures she looks downright rusty brown. Well, except for the "soft grey color", I'm not sure on that, I haven't examined Blacky that closely, the soft grey could be dead fur though. The brown coloring often happens in sunlight with black cats, the sunlight lightens the fur. It can be caused by a few things from my understanding, one of which being deficient in tyrosine, an amino acid. Also, for whatever reason, older black cats usually have their fur turn a little browner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

the soft grey under coat is consistant through out and , any dead fur is brushed out.. so I am sure thats not the issue.. its a thick undercoat and does not show through the outer layer of fur. Its actually thick enough to make it a bit hard to actually get to the skin . lol
The chocolate tones may be due to age though. given Blackjack is 16 years and counting. In normal lighting he still looks Black as Black can be except the sprinkling of individual white hairs he has started showing over the last few years. There is a pic of him in my album will have to add more.

He gets daily vitamins added to his food daily so I am assuming he does not have a amino acid def. but never hurts to check on a regular health check does it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Jr. Cat

In my opinion:

Sherbert - solid cream (in solid reds and creams the tabby gene is never fully suppressed so you will always see some tabby markings; without seeing a good view of the face and body its hard to tell if there are enough for it to be considered tabby or solid cream, imo I'll go with the solid cream)
Pepper - Brown Patched Mackerel Tabby (which is a brown mac tabby with red patches)
BlackJack - solid black (a reddish tint, while not desirable, can occur in the solid blacks, from the pictures in your album it looks like a solid black, the undercoat doesn't show through so it wouldn't be a smoke or shaded, also smokes usually have very very white undercoat, plus a white ruff and ear tufts)
Archie - couldn't find any pictures; if he is similar in color to Sherbert, buff is called "cream"

Very adorable cats overall though! They seem to enjoy computer time haha
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Archie is basically the same cream color as Sherbert but with darker obvious stripes on the body, legs and tail. I will have to get a good side pic of him and add to my album
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Archie.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	2869  

Last edited by BotanyBlack; 06-10-2011 at 10:17 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Archie is basically the same cream color as Sherbert but with darker obvious stripes on the body, legs and tail. I will have to get a good side pic of him and add to my album
Now there are some good cream tabby markings Archie would be a cream mackerel tabby, see the difference in how prominent the markings are between them?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

lol Sherbert had alot of those markings at the age of 3 also.. but that was years ago ....he mellowed with age, like fine wine.

Anyway i got that one right .. lol

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
lol Sherbert had alot of those markings at the age of 3 also.. but that was years ago ....he mellowed with age, like fine wine.

Anyway i got that one right .. lol
Haha awww how cute! When you said ticked in your original post, ticked means tabby markings on head (the M) and the agouti (banded) hairs but no markings (like stripes or spots) on the body, which is what made me think solid cream But I love that 'mellowed with age, like fine wine' haha. I wish my kitties would mellow out! They're 15 and all my boy cat has aged into is grumpiness! haha
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgroomer View Post
. I wish my kitties would mellow out! They're 15 and all my boy cat has aged into is grumpiness! haha
Grumpy old men!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I love that you can see the difference between Archie and Sherbert...

everyone in my family say they "look exactly alike"... I think they all need glasses. Sherbert is 6 lbs. soaking wet.. where Archie is easily 12 or more. and stands a head taller then Sherbert. But not as tall as Jack is. Not to mention their coat patterns are completely different.

Last edited by BotanyBlack; 06-10-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added pic of Sherbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page