Going away for 3 days, how to keep cats entertained? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Going away for 3 days, how to keep cats entertained?

Me and hubby are going to visit his mom in Maryland from Thursday night to Sunday night. One of my kitties is a little destructive so I'm wondering what sort of toys I can get them to keep them occupied? I'll have family stopping by to feed them and hopefully play with them if the cats are willing, but they'll still be alone for the most part. Was also curious if leaving the TV on for them would be a good idea or would that just bug them? I know it's only 3 days but little Shadow goes nuts without any play time and will knock over anything and everything. He went for the butter dish the other night because I didn't play with him before bed so now we keep that in the microwave. Was not fun to wake up at 5AM to a loud shatter and see him licking up butter off the floor. He'll try to open up all the cabinets in the house, etc. He'll even grab our sponge and pot scrubber and tear that to shreds! I can't keep him off our counters to save my life so I will be putting every last thing up before we go, but I'd still like to leave him with something to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Senior Cat

take some brown paper lunch bags, place some cat treats in them, roll them up and tape them with masking tape(not plastic tape on any type) place them around the house, have extras to be placed by your pet sitters. (you will have shredded brown paper all over, but hopefully thats all) our jolene cat will eat two days of food in the first ten minutes after we leave, we would devide up her food for the two days into about eight bags(most likely lasted a least an hour this way)

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you! That sounds like a great idea! Better to have paper all over then pieces of couch missing and feathers and fuzz all over!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Premier Cat

Are you going to have a cat sitter while you're gone? When we do, we leave the TV on during the day and off at night, which she can do. That's closer to what he experiences normally, since we're leave-the-TV-on-at-all-times people.

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

I would get some empty boxes, different sizes. My girls love the heavy brown packing paper, too. I strew it all over the living room and they like to play in, under, around and on it. Also, if you have a cat tree, try draping a blanket over it, my cats love to hide and play under their little "fort."

I would leave the t.v. on, my girls seem a bit calmer with the white noise in the background.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Cat

Also leave cardboard out for them to use for tearing up (saves the furniture too)

Also...if you can make/find a hard catnip ball...that is good for several hours for a cat.

I also leave mouse filled catnip toys...ball...hecros allover the house for them to play with.

We have a bird dvd that goes into the player and a jungle gym or two that would keep Tarzans' kitty fit...lol.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks guys for your input!

I won't have a cat sitter but my family lives 2 minutes away. I'm going to ask them to stay with them for as long as they can to play with them and keep them company. I'll have them turn the tv on/off for them and I'll get to work on all your suggestions! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page