Bug Killers Safe for Pets - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Bug Killers Safe for Pets

Hi all! I'm having a little ant issue in my house, which is to be expected in a city in the summer. It's the first time they've found their way in, though. I need to do a little spraying to kill them off and keep them out. Anyone have a recommendation for bug spray that is also safe for pets? We have two cats and a dog running around. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Cat Addict

I have the same issue myself. I just spray the suckers with the windows fully open and lock the cats up in another room. Once they are dead and gone, which only takes a few minutes, I mop the area really well and rinse and rinse. They usually don't come back for at least a month or so if you keep no crumbs around or spill anything sweet and sticky.

I do this about twice every Summer, which isn't too bad. I just buy the regular stuff of the supermarket shelf...nothing fancy.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Cat Addict

Boric Acid products. Flea Busters is one.

I think Boric Acid works on most bugs. After I applied it and let it sit on the rugs I had to double vaccum so the furkids didn't feel it on their little fur feeties and refuse to walk on the carpets. Got rid of roaches and fleas though

Fleabuster Flea Powder Treatment Kills Dog Fleas & Cat Fleas

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Cat Addict

I just reread the original post. Ants. Yep Boric Acid is a famous solution to ants.

Unless by ants you mean Dr Amen's (PBS) Automatic Negative Thoughts. That takes prozac.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Senior Cat

unless you use a bait type toxin the ants will return, something along the lines of terro (name brand) just make sure the cats can't have access to the bait.. back track the ant trail and place the bait as close as you can to their point of entry(this helps to make sure they make back home with thier prize and pass it around) this method works much better than any spray which is much more toxic and will leave residue that the cats make get at.. cat walks through sprayed region-cat washes feet..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks all! Unfortunately they're coming in right near one of the litter boxes. I live in a city in a smaller place so there's really no where to go with the box and no way to keep that area off limits. I may have to see what kind of boric acid product I can find to get rid of them that way!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Cat Addict

We have ants in our yard in the city, always have, I always see them crawling about, but never in our house... how are they getting in your house? Can you go to a hardware and buy something to seal the location off that they're getting in from?

At the cabin we often have a few ants wandering the cabin floors due to the place being a far cry from being totally air tight, but in so few a number we don't mind. Plus it adds to the rustic appeal, they're always crawling about outside as well, I doubt we'd ever be able to stop all the ants considering the location. Unless we've left something out, like that one time we left watermelon on the counter for a long time, we don't have ants marching in lines purposefully into the cabin to get at food. After we remove what they're interested in they stop coming in droves shortly after that. Do you leave anything out that the ants want?

Sorry, I can't give any advise about insecticides, I don't know much about them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Carmel, it's very strange. There is nothing out they would want. They're coming in a door that has triple weather stripping. Obviously they're getting in but I don't know how else to seal it more! That area is a laundry room with the litter box and half bath. They just kind of mill about by the corner of the door but don't make a move to come further in. I've only noticed them a few days now.

I've read that orange oil detracts them as well as cucumber and some other natural remedies. I'm going to head to the local Lowe's to see what they might recommend as a pet safe remedy that I don't have to mess with too much!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Cat Addict

I have not personally tried it, but I've heard of using mint to repel the ants. You can plant it around your house. But I have read to avoid essential oils as it's toix for cats. So using peppermint essential oil is a bad idea. I would in any case err on the side of caution and made sure the pets aren't eating it. You never know. I'm getting a lot of information with some of it conflicting so I agree it's pretty hard to figure out what to do.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I think I'm also going to invest in some diatomaceous earth for the outside of the door. Hopefully this will create a nice little line of defense against anything trying to make its way in! My cats are indoor only so I have no worry of them getting a hold of it. I don't even know that it's dangerous to animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page