What Have I Got Myself Into? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What Have I Got Myself Into?

I think in my haste to save Sasha, which I introduced in the thread:

https://www.catforum.com/forum/41-mee...tml#post772062

I totally overlooked how much work a 10 week old kitten is. He was meowing all night; missing his mommy. This was the first time he's been away from her. At first, he didn't want to come out of the carrier. I put a carrier in my bathroom with a soft plushy cat bed in it for him to have a safe spot just for him. Even after a few hours, he would not come out, however, the canned food I put down mysteriously DID disappear...lol. So, I knew he had a very good meal; 1/2 of a 5.5 oz can...little glutton

I was trying to watch for his poo to check out how it looked, smell, etc. Last night, I went to bed at midnight, which is late for us older people and no poo in sight. This morning, when everyone else was in the bathroom rushing to get out, Sasha had the stinkiest poo ever. There was gassy noise, foul smell, and light green mushy algae like poo...and lots of it! Although it was smelly, it was quity funny. It was as if he was holding out and just couldn't anymore, the poor thing.

The other cats have seen him and have gone in the bathroom while he was locked in the carrier. They sniffed at the carrier and didn't seem too phased. I think Azalia is like ok, got it, another one. Egypt was more like ok, an even smaller newcomer...he's kinda cute though. But Lacey, she's not happy. She was hissing and spitting at him. Every time she sees him, she growls and her back hairs stand on end. I think she realized she won't be the baby anymore, and that is NOT sitting well with her at all. So definitely a very slow introduction to Lacey in the horizon.

Every time we go in the bathroom now, he races out the carrier to rub himself on us; scent marking is a good sign. I was worrying that he was a bit skittish since last night he was absolutely refusing to come out and socialize. But no, on the contrary, he's very amicable and has been purring a lot. This morning he made me laugh when I went in the bathroom, the toothbrushes, dixie cups and everything else was all over the place. I just said "I see you were busy last night little guy" as I picked him up to pet him.

This morning as I was leaving for work, Egypt just looked at me all nervouly as if saying "You're actually leaving us with the toddler! What? Come back." Sasha was meowing really loudly since he doesn't like being alone in the bathroom by himself.

Today, I will find out if he tests positive for any of the big diseases like FIV/FELV. I am soooo nervous. If he does, then we can't keep him and I don't know what I am going to do then. I already feel like I birthed him myself...lol. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I really don't want to have to rehome him. He's so very sweet! I also don't want to have to think that I may have removed him from a bad situation to put him into an even worse one.

I had a cat many many years ago who was a carrier for FELV before testing was more readily available and she ended up killing my other cat. He wasted away to nothing and it was just devastating on everyone. I won't put any cat through that again. It would be VERY irresponsible on my part.

I did ask the woman about the mother cat and she said she had all her shots, but who knows when that was, and tested negative for both (but again, who knows when that was). The tom was either the neighbor's indoor/outdoor cat or a stray from the neighborhood...who knows. Then again, people do lie to get the kittens off their hands and he was not being kept in the best of conditions. Between you and I, I don't think vetting was a real priority in this house. In fact, he is still stinky, and I looked him over for fleas, but I will have the Vet comb him out a bit just to make sure. If everything checks out, he's getting a bath tonight most definitely.

So...that's it in a nutshell. I am happy we have him, but a nervous wreck. He's so small. If you pet him too hard he kinda topples over, and he's all skin and bones. You can actually feel his pelvic bone as you pet him. But, I am grateful no URI's, at least. He is alert and energetic.

Last edited by dweamgoil; 06-16-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Cat Addict

Poor little baby, thanks for rescuing him from a depressing situation.
Please ket us know how the vet visit goes.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Cat Addict

Congrats on your new addition! Yay for saving him! He's totally cute. I just love black cats.

I believe the runny poo is normal. Stress will bring that on. He's a wee thing and just frightened of all the new changes. Imagine, you're a toddler, taken from your mom and thrown into this strange room with strange ppl and other cats you've never met before. It's information overload.

It's good that you're keeping him in the bathroom so he can calm down. He needs to get his bearings and introduced to new things one at a time. I suggest keeping the other cats away from him at first. Depending on his personality, it might take a while before he's calmer. As you're able to pick him up and he's rubbing on you, you'd have a faster transition than I did with my skittish stray.

Yes, keep us informed! ..I have to say again, he's just sooo cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Senior Cat

awwww keep us updated.

You might try playing a radio or some other white noise to help him not feel so lonely.

Also if you have an old stuffed animal or bathrobe ..something that smells like you.

He might have a minor tummy upset due to the good food. My kittens went through this a bit as well. Mouse has some STINKY poos lol
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Cool Cat

Kittens take abit more time but soooo worth it for all the smiles and laughs you get out of it. I miss my Tuffy being a kitten..
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Yay! He tested negative for both...woo hoo!!!

The Vet administered some Frontline since he had LOTS of flea dirt, and some Drontal to deworm him as a preventive for tapes. Other than that, he said he's perfectly healthy. He is 2.5 lbs of energy, and most likely he's 11 weeks instead of 10.

He's napping now after his big long exciting day. He's to return in 2 weeks for the rest of his shots, and after that, he won't need any for 1 full year. I am so relieved the little guy is a keeper, and in celebration...I think it's time for an updated signature.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Cat Addict

Welcome to the family, Sasha.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Cat

Great name

Glad to hear he is healthy! Can't wait to see him grow into a big healthy cat!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by praline View Post
Glad to hear he is healthy! Can't wait to see him grow into a big healthy cat!
Me too. In the meantime, I am skeeved out about all the fleas jumping ship...eeeewwww!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Cat

I'm SO glad you get to keep Sasha! Such a cutie!

Alice has had some AWFUL poos in the past, but now that she has her own room, she's running around like crazy! She recently learned that she can scale my jeans... Dear lord here it comes! You'll have lots of fun with him! I love the names of all your kitties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page