Any recommendations for cat breeds? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Any recommendations for cat breeds?

Hello, all. I am to be (fingers crossed that all goes right) starting working a good full-time job soon, temporary, but it may become a permanent job. In that case, I plan to move out of my parents house, get my own apartment, and take night classes at my local community college as I work.

We have a cat in the house, who I love very much (Mulan - you can see her in my thread in the Introductions section :3), but I can't take her with me because she is the house's cat. (Read as "My dad loves the cat too much." xD)

I was wondering if anyone here has recommendations as to what cat breeds might suit a person with a lifestyle like mine. I would need an independent cat, who can entertain his/herself during the day while I work and school, but also who is loving and loyal, and wouldn't mind having a conversation.

Note: I am going to be adopting a shelter kitty, I'm just looking for ideas as to what cat breeds I should be geared towards looking at. Though I could fall for any cat I find. Also, I really like bengals, but I'm fairly sure they wouldn't be suited for me. If anyone can tell me otherwise, do speak up. ^^

I apologise for the long post; thanks in advance for your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Premier Cat

Many things to think about as well as personality traits, hair length (how much time to groom). You might consider a British Shorthair. Some of the Siamese or other oriental breeds are very needy and like lot of attention.

Take Animal Planet's Cat Breed Selector Animal Planet :: Guides :: Cat Breed Selector

Let us know what it comes up with for you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Banned

Maine Coon mix, give them some toys and some love when your home and you have a loving friend for life.

They like to explored stuff, get into cabinets, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I've gotten (on the first page of results) the Turkish Van, Snowshoe, Japanese Bobtail, Maine Coon, and American Curl. I'll be sure to go through and read the breed profiles.

I do have to say that I LOVE Maine Coons. The cat we have now is a Maine Coon, and she is just precious.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

While purebred cats sometimes land in shelters, the vast majority of shelter cats have no known pedigree. List the personality/character traits you want in a cat and go look for those...not a breed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Senior Cat

Also look on youtube for cats 101. They have short videos of each breed.

I think a Russian Blue would be right up your alley! They are one of the smarter breeds and independent. they have a beautiful coat that is not long so you don't have to worry about brushing it out every night. They are extremely loyal.

Whatever you decide, make sure to get an adult rather then a kitten. Kittens need a lot of supervision and with you being gone during the day that might not be the best idea.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Cat

I don't think given your scenario that I'm recommend a snowshoe. I've had two and they both didn't tolerate solitude well. Fortunately for them, I had other cats. But put them in a room by themselves and it was cry, cry, cry! Though, they are beautiful and I don't think I could live without one!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Premier Cat

Imho, your best bet is to go to the shelter and TELL them what kind of cat you are looking for and what your situation is, not to specify a breed. The volunteers/workers there will know the cat personalities and be able to point you to different kitties that will fit into your life.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

@Valentine: Yeah, I was kind of surprised that the survey gave me snowshoes as a good option. xD

@Everyone else: Thanks for the opinions. They're all quite helpful.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Senior Cat

I'd recommend going to a shelter and asking about personalities too. Purebreeds don't come with a guaranteed personality anyhow. We have two Ragdolls, which are known as a laid back, quiet, floppy cat. Evie NEVER stops talking. She is so vocal- constantly, no matter if it's 2pm or 4am. She's also highly strung- she'll pee and poop round the house to show her disgust if she's unhappy with you. Mitzi doesn't like being picked up and does not go floppy, or like an actual Ragdoll (the toy), as is a common trait. Don't get me wrong- I love them to pieces and couldn't wish for lovelier girls (well, minus the pooping issues that is), but they certainly don't match up to the common Ragdoll temperament.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page