Wish us luck! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Wish us luck!

Last week we had a very frightening episode with Ricard. He sleeps in the computer room at night and come morning, 7am, we went to let him out and he was gone. The window had been left open a tiny bit and we figured he must have somehow squeezed past the screen. We live in the country and my biggest fear is coyotes. I frantically searched our whole property for him, under bushes, long grass, up trees, under the deck, checked the road (in case he got hit by car). An hour and half later my husband found him in the closet!!! Actually it was Lucy the boxer that found him. Somehow he had managed to squeeze past the dog crate and force open the bifold door to the closet. Once inside the door shut and he couldn't get it open again. Needless to say I was a bawling, sobbing mess the whole time I was searching for him. My biggest concerns were that he had been hit by a car, a coyote had him, or he would encounter rabies. He has not had his rabies shot. I was toying with the idea of not vaccinating him since I'm not a big believer in vaccination, and he is an indoor cat. However since the scare last week I have decided that I will vaccinate just this once and he will be protected in case he ever does get out accidently.

So..what I need luck with is the car ride! The last car ride we took when I had his kitty booster shots did not go well. He screamed and chewed at the bars on the crate to the point where I thought he was going to injure himself. I ended up having to let him out and he sat on my lap all the way there. Please keep your fingers crossed that we have an uneventful ride, it takes us 1/2 to get there..yikes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Cat Addict

Good luck on your trip!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Cat

our rehabbed ferrel tammi cat would beat her nose raw on the crate door, we cut a piece of cardboard box and duct taped to the door, now we place the crate in the car/truck with the door against the seat back so that end doesn't look like an escape point..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Cat

Wow...what a scare...poor little tyke and your heart.

Tghsmith has a good idea...or if it is not a long trip to the vets you can make a harness into a seat belt allowing the kitty to stay out of the crate but still confined to not bother you/in case of accident so the kitten does not fly anywhere.

Or is there a calmer your vet could recommend giving hin before the trip?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

So everything went well. Richard of course was screaming in the crate so I let him out and he was fine. He sat happily on my lap all the way there and all the way back. Yay! And the vet was very happy with him, he is a healthy 11lbs!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Cat Addict

Yay! Glad to hear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page