grooming - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

grooming

Okay, so Missy is sort of long-haired and recently I noticed cat fur is sort of flying around in the air with the a/c and fan on and all... so I decided to give it another try with brushing her. This time I got a comb (I was using a brush with metal prongs). I had to sort of hide it and trick her into thinking I was just going to pet her... but as soon as I started combing her she freaked out and screamed bloody murder then scratched me... I really want to be able to give her a bath, brush her and trim her nails... I am hesitant to take her to the vet for this because of cost and I am pretty sure she will shred the vet tech's arms and not be allowed back there ever again! haha! Does anyone have any suggestions? I have two brushes (one bigger one and one smaller one), a comb with big thick bristles, regular cat shampoo and "waterless" foam shampoo... I am definitely not going to attempt to cut her nails anytime soon since she doesn't like to be held...
Thanks,
Casey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My rescued stray tortie Missy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(gotcha date 2/19/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Senior Cat

Start with one of these.

Four Paws Magic Coat Red Pet Love Glove at PETCO

I think Walmart carries them as well. They are not perfect at getting every little hair but if you use it everyday it will help keep the hair down.

My daughter is using one on her kittens and THEY LOVE IT. Its like a petting massage rather then a groom. She is 10 and I didn't want her to accidentally get too rough with a comb and they hate grooming for the rest of their lives.

Here is another type you can try once she does well with the glove
KONG Cat Zoom Groom Brush at PETCO
I use something EXTREMELY similar when I am bathing Bentley or Sasha. I find curry brushes that are rubber are the very best at loosening the under hairs in the bath.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Senior Cat

Whisker City&reg Curry Brush - Grooming - Cat - PetSmart
That is what I use on my dog and Sasha, but mine is black. I WANT THE PINK ONE NOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

wow...nice! thanks for the links... I will look for these items next time I am in Petco!

My rescued stray tortie Missy
(gotcha date 2/19/11)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Tom Cat

If you're able to brush her, and she tolerates it, i would definitely suggest getting the Furminator. Rocky has a plush coat, and we got him in October of 2010 as a kitten, and his shedding was relatively minimal. But, as you guys know, in the Spring and Summer..cat's start shedding HORRIBLY. My husband and i would just pet him and a ton of hair would come off his body, fluffy/soft white fur, but annoying nonetheless. I decided to go on amazon and read some reviews about different brushes, and i discovered the Furminator. The Furminator gets the undercoat completely, so any fur they would be shedding, you're brushing it away with the Furminator. I got the long hair/large cat one, just because he fits into that category, but they have different varieties of the brushes depending on the type of cat you have Plus, i read online that your cat ingests 1/3 of the fur they shed, which is why they get fur balls. I would hate to think of having a ton of fur in my stomach that i would have to hack up. >.< He has never had a fur ball, and i think the major reason why is because of the Furminator

Last edited by Rocky_Raccoon; 06-19-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page