Little Chiquita's turn to shine - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Little Chiquita's turn to shine

It's been a little over a month since I lost my beloved Samantha and since then Chiquita has been a treasure.
Chiquita was hanging around my house when I moved in 11 years ago and my ex being jealous of my devotion to Samantha felt the need to have a cat of her own rather then trying to win Samantha's heart.
Now I like cats so I had no problem except the girls have never gotten along and Chiquita would on occasion go bonkers and attack Samantha, Samantha being twice her size but really a big sissy wanted no part of the tiny terror.
Now I don't permit serious fighting and would give Chiquita a time out in the garage to cool off.
Now for reasons having nothing to do with the cats my ex left, among other things she left Chiquita behind and has never asked about her since or anything else for that matter.
Now I don't mind having Chiquita but I would never leave my cat behind, my cat is family.
Well for the past 10 years they had an uneasy truce, with occasional outburst by Chiquita.

The last month right after her 16th birthday Samantha was stricken, it was cancer and the only merciful thing to do was to let her go she died in my arms and I have been devastated.
Little Chiquita doesn't miss Samantha, I don't hold that against her, they were mean to each other in spite of all my effort to have them get along.
I won't lie I loved Samantha more, a lot more, I absolutely adored her.
I'm sure Chiquita knew she was a distant 2nd and was envious.
Well now I'm giving her all the attention, she's always been rather needy compared to Samantha who was a very self assured (stuck up?) confident kitty.
Well she's thriving with all the attention, I have to be careful and not over stimulate her, but she gives clear signs when she's getting too excited.
I'd love to have a house full of cats but she wouldn't permit it and I don't think it would be fair to her at this stage of her life, she's been waiting 11 years to be top cat and now it's her turn.
I love her for the cat she is not the cat I'd like her to be.
She can't replace Samantha just as Samantha couldn't replace Meme her predecessor, Meme is another story, that cat absolutely adored me, she picked my to be her special person like I picked Samantha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Cat

It's hard thing to use a cat that you love. Chiquita is lucky to have you!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:44 AM
Senior Cat

A very sweet story Bob. I think most of us who have had pets our whole lives understand your position. I have had many pets but only 1 "china". She was my version of Samantha. It doesn't mean you can't love cats or appreciate Chiquita but Samantha was your friend and confidant and there is no replacing that.

Loving Chiquita for who she is rather then who she is not takes some effort. The loss does get better in that the memories will turn to funny and sweet and not so painful.

I have 3 human kids ~ each one is VERY different. One tries my patients like there is NOOO tomorrow. <sigh> I love him with all of my heart and soul but am smart enough not to fall into his little smiles of innocence.
Each of them have a special relationship with me. I never say I love all my kids the same as so many mom's do. I love each of my kids differently and rejoice in their individualism. That is all your doing with chiquita.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

At bed time Samantha was always on my right and Chiquita on my left, Samantha has been gone for over a month but Chiquita still only stays on the left side of the bed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Cat Addict

Loving on the rest of my cats is the only thing that really comforts me when I lose one...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Cat

What a lovely story...thanks for sharing it and a picture of your beautiful Chiquita

Sorry for your loss of Samatha.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

What a sweet, sad, hearwarming and heartwrenching story. Chiquita is a beauty! She must love getting all of your attention.

Like many of us, I know what it is like to lose a beloved cat ... Princess was my most cherished girl and I lost her in April. She was definitely a "lone" cat and did not want, nor would she tolerate, other cats (I moved in briefly with a roommate who had a cat and it was NOT pretty for my Princess). She loved soaking up all my attention, was a true lapcat and slept between my knees every night (until the end, when she slept up against my face). I know I can never replace her, but knowing I had so much love to give, and that there were many cats in need, I adopted Bella and Boo and it has been interesting. Every cat I've had has had their own slot in my heart - and left their pawprints in my life, each in a different way - but Princess was the most amazingly sweet and loving cat. My time with her (adopted when she was around 6 years old 8 years ago) was much too short but I cherish the time with her. Just as I am enjoying my time with B & B.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Cat Addict

I know what you mean. Sherbert is my feline soul mate. I love all my cats, but Sherbert has a special place in my heart. My other cats have always deferred to him for so long and do not seem to miss being topcat in the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page