collars for cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

collars for cats?

I was looking at license requirements and stuff for the city where I'm going to be living with potential kitty and all cats must carry ID tags. So I was wondering, do cats usually hate collars and try to squirm out of them? Do they get caught on things and potentially choke the cat? Is there any type of collar that's good for cats (like, one that will let them get out if they -do- get stuck)? I want to get kitty microchipped too (don't think it's included with adoption) but I'm pretty sure external tags are required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Cool Cat

Only Jack ever complained about wearing a collar.. for all of 3 minutes of rolling.. then no issuers. I have never had a cat get caught on anything either, but then my cats are strictly indoors. My cats are older so we never had the choice of break away collars when they were younger and I have always used the small leather ones for puppies. Still I have had no issues.

If you are moving to a new city maybe you should consider a fully indoor cat. When I was a kid and lived in a bigger city i would see people actually aim to hit pets (yes even those on leashes).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Cat

While I am not an advocate for a collar on an outside cat due to the risks of being caught up on something....it sometimes must be done

It was here I took a page from my horse experience.....see..horses must wear halters...and the nylon ones are strong enough to "trap" a horses head on something if caught up risking breaking the horses neck in a struggle.....so we invented the "break away halter.....still very strong and usable...but if caught on a tree limb/fence post and the horse twist in a struggle....the halter will break....and this is how I have made all my cat collars for those who roam free.

I have found two in trees where the cats were caught up and the collars let go....I tried a quick release slip but they came apart too easy so I went with a very small "be-easy" snap usually found on a horses harness.

You can also add a "weak" spot to the collar by sewing in a peice of fabric that will tear under hard pressure ad the "break away" area.

If they are indoors...I tend not to worry as much....my indoors actually never wear a collar except when visiting the vet now....they do not need it indoors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotanyBlack View Post

If you are moving to a new city maybe you should consider a fully indoor cat. When I was a kid and lived in a bigger city i would see people actually aim to hit pets (yes even those on leashes).
It is hard to believe the depths of cruelty in man....but he seems to exhibit the best and the worse when it comes to treatment of animals....of course...some people are just stupid....and like they say...there is no cure for stupid...no class to take...no pill to swallow......and most...you can not even smack the stupid out with a solid hit from a cast iron fry pan when dealing with animals.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well my cat would be a strictly indoor kitty, on top of all the normal shenanigans and dangers of being an outside cat (including mean drivers ) I'm from Wisconsin and we have about 5 months of winter XD I'm just not sure about the strictness of licensing, but I'd rather follow licensing laws and all. And of course if kitty ever escaped she would have something visible saying she had a home.

Here're our "cat owner responsibilities" for the county:

Quote:
Cats must wear owner identification tags.
Cats must be leashed when off owner's property.
Cats must not be allowed to run-at-large or trespass on public or private property.
Plus for the city:

Quote:
Cats must wear rabies vaccination, cat license and owner identification tags.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Cat

If our pestal system was not on strike....I could have sent you one of the many collars I have made...that said...a little sewing and your collar can have its' own "safety net" for the "just in case" emergencies...you could even add a piece where it is done up as the "break away" part in case they are caught on something in the house...any soft material would do.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Cat Addict

I live in the outskirts of a very large city. I have all my cats chipped, and collared at all times even though they are indoors only. They wear their rabies tag license nos, and our personal contact information.

I also have a 3 door exit system (glass door, wood door, a foyer, and then our door) so it's difficult for them to get out, but it HAS happened once. The cat did not get far, but had she leapt at the right time, she would've been another missing kitty in the neighborhood.

As far as collars, we tried the safety ones with the plastic clips and they kept coming off every time they were playing so now I get buckled ones that release if enough weight is put on them. They are more secure for the everyday, but every now and again, they still manage to get them off when they are playing.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Cool Cat

I found that the breakaway collars in the stores come apart WAY too easily, but I ordered several breakaway collars off of ebay that don't break nearly as easy. Simone's has only come off once, and that was because Pumpkin's claws got stuck in it while she was grooming him.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Cool Cat

This is the seller's page I bought from: COLLARS GALORE items - Get great deals on Boys or Girls, Girls items on eBay Stores!

I'm not sure what the difference in the buckle is, but they sure do work well!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into getting breakaway ones ohh, the ever-expanding kitty-prep kit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page