Yes. I love it. 15 75.00%
No. It's a piece of junk. 3 15.00%
On the fence - has it good and bad points (please elaborate) 2 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Furminator or Imitation Furminator

Talk me into it or out of it; what do you say?

Last edited by dweamgoil; 05-30-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Cat

I had the original Furminator for dogs and loved it. But it was for large dogs so it was too big for cats. I bought a imitation Furminator for the cats (can't remember the brand) and it works pretty well. But if you can afford the real Furminator I would go with that.

The first time I used it I could not believe the amount of hair that came off them. The cats actually love being brushed with this. So getting rid of all that old hair must make them feel better.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Cat Addict

They're great at removing hair! They aren't any kind of weekly grooming brush to me, as especially on longer haired cats you can only do an extremely small brush stroke, over and over until you think you've removed enough hair. Because of that I brush Blacky in stages, the shoulder area until one go, the back end in another. You can get an insane amount of hair and need to stop before you make your cat bald, heh... but otherwise there is no downside, it's a fabulous tool for serious hair removal when they're shedding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Cat

Absolutely terrible for delicate coats. Cuts and damages the heck out of fine hair, but gives off the appearance of removing old hair.

I'll send you the two I have, cheap.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Senior Cat

I love it! I have two... One long haired one for dogs(I use it on the long haired cat) and one short haired cat one. I only use it once every few week though. It's great when you see loose fur floating on them, but be careful with short haired cats. I made the mistake of using it too much on one(she loves it... looks like she is in heaven when I use it on her) and I almost made her bald. So now I just do a quick once over, but for everyday I use a normal brush.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Cool Cat

I have a Furminator and I brush my cats with it once a week. It's good. My cats like it. It removes quite a bit underlayer coat from my Meatball, but with my Metoo, I don't get a lot hair off even if I brush many rounds. So I would assume it's not pulling off good hair.

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Cool Cat

i was really reluctant myself to spend so much $ on one of those, but then i got a coupon from Petsmart and combined it with the 15% off advertisement on furminators and just bit the bullet and bought one. i had heard so many people say how awesome this tool was and i couldn't imagine a simple brush being so much better than any others - but i am a believer now! it really DOES get a lot more hair out. i'm assuming it is getting more of the undercoat out than a normal brush. that's the claim, anyway. all i can say is i gave our Angel (long hair) @10 gentle slow strokes with it (she's pretty sensitive so i was being really careful) and i probably got out 4 times the amount i normally would with our other brush. and the hair doesn't go flying around the room! you can actually feel it grabbing those other hairs, and Angel wasn't bothered by it. it was funny cuz when i started brushing her, she was really still as if thinking to herself, "hmmm, this feels a little different, but it's not so bad..."

i got the one for large cats over 10 lbs. normally @$52 bucks! ended up being $42 including tax. some guy in front of me in line was trying to save me some moola though and told me he bought the japanese knockoff on ebay for 1/4 of the price and it works just as well. i didn't want to bother with the wait and the shipping, though, so i just bought it at Petsmart.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Senior Cat

I'll ship you two for $30.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Cat Addict

I voted on the fence. I love it and the hair it brings up but my cats absolutely hate it, so I have to chase them around to even touch them with it.

Becky, the proud momma of:

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Tom Cat

I don't have a furminator, I have just been using a brush and a flea comb. I read the reviews on amazon and I'm getting one on payday! I figure what have I got to lose, it's cheaper than one trip to the groomer. I have cat hair tumbleweeds all over the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page