Where do you feed your cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Where do you feed your cats?

I know I've seen a thread regarding this before, just can't find it now.

I currently feed my "at large" cats in the kitchen in dishes on the floor. I ama really tired of the kitchen looking so cluttered up. My kitchen table has two shelves on one side (like an island I guess) and I had hoped to feed them there- but, they don't like the "enclosed" feeling.
I am thinking about moving their feeding station to a spot in the basement. I have a nice long bench I'm thinking I could use. Also have a storage cabinet I can use for the food supplies.
It also would ensure that I get to the basement twice daily to scoop the litter boxes (in the laundry room in the basement). I have a tendency to not clean as often as I should.
I have three of my own cats, and usually have one or two fosters "at large". (I have an isolation room for newbies until they are healthy enough and social enough to mingle- they get fed in there)

So- where do you feed your cat/s? do you have a cool feeding station set up?
Ideas and pics- all welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Premier Cat

MowMow eats on the bar section of the counter.

Book eats on the bathroom floor.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Cat Addict

We feed Blacky in a fairly unused room. The room is one big waste of space, I only go in it when I'm walking through to the garage - another large room filled with junk, never has been used for cars - and then through to the backyard.

There's an old pool table in the room so we feed her on it, it's also were we keep most of the food since it's such a large table. The reason we originally fed her there was that she was a feral and afraid of the indoors, we opened up the cat door and she learned to come inside that one quiet room to eat. No way she would've walked around the house looking for food, and it just stuck that way.

Now there's a feral coming in the room through the cat door late at night, but we don't really want to move her feeding location to other parts of the house.

I wouldn't feed cats in the kitchen, it's already cluttered with one to three dog dishes on the floor at a time and I'd rather cats just stay out of the room as much as possible. Blacky shows no interest in the kitchen, even when we're eating chicken, pork, beef... she never goes in there unless she's headed straight through onto the sundeck, I'd rather not have her suddenly start begging or jumping on counters, especially since there isn't a lot of counter space in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 05-31-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 PM
Tom Cat

Mine eat in the kitchen or one of the 3 kitten rooms or the wide hallway
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Cool Cat

Io eats under the window by her cat house. It's technically a "dining area" but the house is so small it's the exercise bike / K-cup and board game storage / bread maker area.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Cool Cat

Zinny only goes in the kitchen to hide behind the fridge or dishwasher (I'm not actually sure which one she uses) to hide when guests are visiting.

The feeding station is at the base of my toy shelf. The kibble feeder is no longer there, and now there's 4 bowls for food. I am feeding canned and raw now, hopefully going to only raw by the end of next month!

I have read a lot of things about plastic water bowls giving acne on cat's chins. While I haven't seen any on my cats, still not sure I want plastic (their food bowls are glazed ceramic). So, after I switch the floors from carpet to tile, then I'm going to save up to get one of these water fountains!
Hand-made Ceramic Art Pet Drinking Fountains - elegant and functional
I want to custom design one, and have it battery operated, so it'll cost about $200.
The reason I want battery, is because when my dad passes, I am seriously thinking about buying travel trailer and living in that. I just can't stand the thought of having neighbors all around me in an apartment! Besides, trailer lots are a LOT cheaper in rent than a whole apartment, and by then it'll most likely just be me, Zinny and Nebbie.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Cool Cat

We feed Io with our normal dishes (washed every night with the rest). Is that weird? :s
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Cool Cat

Nope. The dishes I'm currently using are little dessert plates I bought at a thrift store. They are ceramic and painted with blue and yellow flowers. Luckily the set was exactly 4 dishes! If they had 6, would'a bought those too, just in case of another breaking.
They get put in the dishwasher at the end of the night, and taken out for breakfast.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Charlee eats in the kitchen, Cleo eats on her plush rug on the washroom (has for years), and Cali eats under the long counter in the bathroom in my new place (so I can close the door and keep the other two Hoovers away until she finishes).

As soon as I put Charlee's bowl down in the kitchen, Cleo runs and jumps on her rug and Cali runs into the bathroom and air-meows until I bring her food in.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Cat Addict

My cats take turns going into either the kitchen or bathroom. Both rooms have ceramic tiled floors. They just love to drag their raw food on the floor...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page