How do you feed your cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Ted
Cat

How do you feed your cats?

Hello all,

Okay, warning: this is a silly question.

How do you feed your cats(wet food)?

By this, I mean...do you feed them on small plates? Or in one large plate?

Let me explain.

I have two food dishes I purchased from Petsmart (one for each cat). Stainless steel, so they're very nice...but I'm finding it a pain to wash them after each meal. So, I was thinking I might go to a Corningware store and purchase some small, inexpensive plates...this way I could just wash them every so often...or even place them in the dishwasher.

The problem with that is... since I only wash dishes twice a week (I'm single, after all), I'd need like 16 small plates (2 small plates per meal x 2 meals x 4 days)! And then my dishwasher would be filled with small plates!

Now, I know it's not a HUGE deal to wash plates after every meal by hand...it just seems like if I could avoid that, I would.

Does anybody feed on small paper plates? Do you find the food "seeps" through them? And that doesn't seem too Earth-friendly to me.

Any advice on making feeding a bit more manageable would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Cat

I actually have the same problem...I have about 8 small round cat plates I got from walmart..but feeding 2 cats 3 times a day means a lot of washing! The cats also eat 2 different foods and I buy the big 13 oz cans, so I go through a lot of small tupperware containers keeping the food refrigerated as well. I find myself washing by hand until the dishwasher is full...which is usually every other day. I use paper plates when I feed raw, but with canned food you need a heavy dish, the paper plates move everytime the cat licks it and they end up pushing it around the room(unless you hold it still for them )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Cat

My cat has a ceramic flat bottomed bowl. I wash it before each meal instead of after (rinse in hot water actually). I don't wash it after each meal because her meals take ages to eat. She likes to eat a bit, then play, eat, play, nap, eat, until it's gone. I feed her in the kitchen so I don't find it a big deal. I hand wash most of my dishes anyway and run the dishwasher maybe once or twice a month (mainly if I've used tupperware..it's resistant to losing odors).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*** the Destroyer ***
~~ ~~ (and Sharon) ~~ ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Cool Cat

Each of my cat has a ceramic dish of their own. I wash them immediately after they finish their meal. I don't use any cloth or detergent, just rinse it under hot water and use my hand to rub a bit. Yes, that means I wash them 3 times a day, but it takes less than half minute each time.

I don't use dishwasher (my previous apartment has one and I used it as a dish storage). Don't trust that stuff can do a good job. And I don't like the idea of having dirty dishes to sit for days (and I'm also single). Dirty dishes that sit for long time are also harder to wash, so overall you are actually spending more time.

Last edited by yingying; 06-01-2012 at 10:27 AM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Premier Cat

I have 8 stainless steel bowls that are pretty small. I feed from those and put them in the dishwasher and then run the dishwasher every other day. There may be a lot of my stuff in there or not but I run it for the cat dishes.

When I give them raw I put it on a glass salad plate and same thing, it goes in the dishwasher (rinsed first so Quail juice isn't sitting around stinking up the joint).

When I was sick I used paper bowls for them (and paper plates for myself) until I felt well enough for all my regular tasks. Since my cats ear immediately the cat food/water mixture they eat didn't have time to soak through, but if an ything was left in it I'm sure it would.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Ted
Cat

Thank you for the responses and help.

I may just have to start running the dishwasher more frequently, seeing as there are two additions to my family.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

My crew will eat most of their wet food, but leave some and come back later...so the dishes would end up sitting out and getting crusty and difficult to wash. So I bought a second set of dishes...now when it's feeding time, I pick up the yucky dishes and put them in the sink to soak. There will already be a set in the sink that was soaking, so washing them is a breeze...just the swipe of a sponge. Only issue is that there's almost always a set of cat dishes in the sink, but they stack and don't take much room. Works for me...

If you want enough dishes to allow you to use the dishwasher, you could always go to a yard sale to get something cheap.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Tom Cat

Is there something wrong with using my own plates? I have a set of ceramic dishes, 12 place settings, and I use the salad plates for the cats wet food. I rinse them clean with hot water and put in dishwasher after each meal. I run the dishwasher every day. All my dishes are rinsed before I put them in. The come out very clean.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Cool Cat

I only have two cats and got tired of washing both plates lol. I feed them both off of one plate now. It's interesting to see how they worked it out. I bring the plate into the room and Neko follows me at my heels screaming his head off. Willie lags behind quietly and sits in the doorway. I put the plate down and Neko chows down. After a few minutes Willie will start walking towards the plate and Neko will see him coming and get up and leave the plate so Willie can eat. There is usually a little bit left when Willie is full and they come back later and finish it off. They each only take what they need.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Ted
Cat

Thank you, Doodlebug... for your additional suggestion.

Regarding cost, the Corningware outlet has them for about $1 each... but yard sales are great advice! (as well as Goodwill, etc.)

I also like MowMow's suggestion of having paper plates on hand for those times I'm sick and don't feel like washing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page