Those with long/medium haired cats... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Those with long/medium haired cats...

Do you find you have to bathe them ever? When I visited Baby Boy last, he had some poo in the fur under his tail and he was a little smelly. Is this a common occurance with long hair, or just a kitten thing? I know my shetland sheepdog has to get a "butt bath" if he has a loose poo occasionally, and I'm wondering if along with getting him used to being brushed, I should get him used to baths?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Unless they're a breed that requires bathing, and some do, I don't really see a need for it. My twins are almost five years old and they've never had a real, full bath. Cali got a quick clean up once after peeing in her carrier when she was scared by dogs when I tried a new groomer (never went back). My girls were given potty patches sometimes when I brought them in to get their nails clipped though, especially when they were little.

Most cats do not enjoy baths and will never get used to them. The stress isn't worth it to me. The only reason I used to take Mocha in for baths is because I thought that's what got the extra hair out. (silly me!) Now I know it's the comb-out after the bath. In fact, my girls' groomer is coming over this weekend to give her a really good comb-out and trim all their nails.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Do you find you have to bathe them ever?
Never.

Once Blacky had a bit of poop on her... used a wash cloth and removed it... a baby or hand wipe would work well too.

I've had to give Blaze (short hair) more of a bath than Blacky, once he peed all over the lower half of his body so he got half a bath. He took it well... as in, he didn't claw my eyes out or bite or struggle excessively or meow pathetically, but was very happy when I let him out of the sink. He was at least 10 at that point and had never had a bath before and he may never have one again...

I don't think most cats will get accustomed to baths and even if it's possible the stress of it is not likely worth it. Cats so rarely if ever need a bath that there's no point.

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Phew, I was a little worried. I have never bathed a cat and wasn't looking forward to it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:33 AM
Tom Cat

I've never had an issue bathing my cats, they tend to just stand there lol

Poo you don't want to wash anyway, more effective to powder and brush out. You can get a sanitary shave if needed.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:54 AM
Cat

my Elfie is medium long haired & occasionaly gets a little poop in the fur around his but & I just comb it out for him & he clean's away any smell him self

when he was on a dry food diet he would quite oftenn have diarrhoea & would then need his butt washed in the sink

but since changing to wet food only he has not had a episode of diarrhoea once, he just sometime's has a lil ball of dry poop stuck to his furr but this is not very often at all

he has a groom every day & I check his butt throughout the day so he is never left with poop in his furr for long enough to make him stinky

"what greater gift......than the love of a cat?"

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

I had to dunk Holly's butt several times when she was a kitten as she often had diarrhea until I figured out that she has an intolerance for fish (even small amounts). But never gave her a full bath.

She still gets the occasional diarrhea, especially if I introduce something new)...she cleans it up for the most part, but sometimes I need to comb or trim it out. Getting her a potty patch would help but it's not often enough to justify the stress of taking her to the vet or groomer.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Cool Cat

I bath my girls regularly. Used to be quarterly, but I now cut it down to every 4 month.

My Meatball needs a regular bath. As a Siberian, her fur is natually a bit oilly (water proofing). So she gets greasy over time. My Metoo may not need a bath every 4 month, but I would like her to get used to bathing in case of emergency -- like the last time she fell into toilet. Also although my girls groom themselves, there are places they cannot reach, like head, behind ears, neck & upper back, etc.

Both my girls are perfectly cool with bathing, and they even enjoys the blow dry process afterward! Here are pictures of their bathing in May. I absolutely LOVE how fluffy they are after bathing! The difference is obvious

Meatball and Metoo in the sink. You can see how carm they are. They were harnessed not because they struggled, just so that I can have both my hands free

After the blow drying, Meatball is a big puffed furball!

You don't see big difference on Metoo, but she is softer and silkier to touch (her tail is still a bit wet)

Last edited by yingying; 06-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Tom Cat

I love the clean fluffiness too. And the way they look so tiny when wet. Cute!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kty78 View Post
I love the clean fluffiness too. And the way they look so tiny when wet. Cute!
They do shrinked at least 2 sizes down when wet

After bath, Meatball was incredibly soft like a cotton candy, whereas Metoo was unbelievably silky. I was in kitty heaven and can't stop kissing & hugging them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page