Trimmed claws today, now Lickorish is mad at me - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Unhappy Trimmed claws today, now Lickorish is mad at me

Both Squeek and Lickorish got claw trims this morning. Squeek is fine, even though she squirmed throughout the entire procedure. Lickorish is avoiding / hiding from me . She meowed once when I clipped her back claws, I may have gotten too close and hurt her a little, but no blood anywhere. Can it hurt without cutting the vein? She clawed hubby (who was holding her) trying to get away as he put her down. Didn't stick around for her treat, just ran upstairs into her little hiding place.

Her last trim before this went much better, she didn't run off and stuck around for treats. Not sure what I did wrong this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Cool Cat

Have you appologised for anything you may have done, and told her why her nails have to be trimmed. A gentle touch of the paw with your finger may help. Lickorish will obviously not understand a word, but it's your attitude that counts. You've really got to mean it.

On the other hand, I'm a bit crazy.

JusJim
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinCA View Post
Both Squeek and Lickorish got claw trims this morning. Squeek is fine, even though she squirmed throughout the entire procedure. Lickorish is avoiding / hiding from me . She meowed once when I clipped her back claws, I may have gotten too close and hurt her a little, but no blood anywhere. Can it hurt without cutting the vein? She clawed hubby (who was holding her) trying to get away as he put her down. Didn't stick around for her treat, just ran upstairs into her little hiding place.

Her last trim before this went much better, she didn't run off and stuck around for treats. Not sure what I did wrong this time.
It could have hurt her, for sure. If you use dull trimmers then when you press down it squeezes the nail before it cuts through. That pressure must be really uncomfortable.

I'd suggest either buying new trimmers, or getting yours sharpened. Apolagizing won't hurt either. I always apologize if I accidentally hurt one of our kitties...usually Muffin who Insists on standing right behind me when I'm cooking. He gets stepped on regularly and hasn't learned his lesson yet. But I always scoop him up for a snuggle and tell him I'm sorry.

Even if he doesn't completely understand it the cuddle makes him feel better and I'm instantly forgiven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Kitten

cuddles are all-forgiving

socks follows me around in the morning when i get their wet food, and its first thing so i'm still a bit bleary-eyed, and usually end up stepping on him. of course since he gets his food right after, the fat cat doesn't mind too much, and gives me a head butt of forgiveness.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I apologized profusely and brought her treat to her hiding place. She eventually came out but didn't want me to touch her. When I tried, she went back in. I did reach in to pet her and got her to purr a little. Didn't help that we had people over a little later and she's quite shy and doesn't like strangers in her house, so she hid the entire time they were here and is still hiding..poor thing.

Oh, and this morning, before the trimming, she was running around me and I tripped on her. She didn't seem to mind that so much though.

We do need to keep her claws trimmed. They grow so long and sharp, she gets caught on the carpet when she walks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Cat Addict

Of course you still need to trim her nails! But before you need to do it again you need to either buy new trimmers or get yours sharpened. Otherwise it will just get worse and worse as they get duller.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Of course you still need to trim her nails! But before you need to do it again you need to either buy new trimmers or get yours sharpened. Otherwise it will just get worse and worse as they get duller.
Mine are not very old and have only been used a couple times...maybe it was user error? She was getting antsy when I got to her back claws, and she doesn't like to be picked up or held at all, so maybe I rushed it or something...not sure what I did wrong. I did have to do a sneak grab just to get hold of her so we could do the trim. I feel so bad cuz she slept right up next to me all night the past few nights. Probably wont' today though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Lickorish claws before trim

thought I'd include this photo showing Lickorish 3 weeks after a claw trim..about to get another one here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LickorishClaws.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	4505  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinCA View Post

of course i don't know because i'm not lickorish, but sometimes when i'm cutting my own fingernails, i get too far down and it hurts but doesn't bleed. then i sulk and generally feel mad at myself. (j/k)

she'll forgive and forget. i did it to diotima once and ever since i probably always cut too little. i have to clip them all more often (or need to, whether it gets done or not always depends on the cat, and yes my carpet has a lot of little snags in it, but when i have a lot of bleeding scratches i figure it's time to do it again lol).

it's hit or miss. sometimes baci will sit still and other times he won't. houdini will let me do both paws sometimes and tonight i got 1 3/4 of both done and he started chewing on my hands so i stopped. he wasn't biting or fighting but i don't have anyone to hold a cat for me so i have to stop sooner. my eyesight is not fantastic for close work and i think i need new glasses so i don't always trust myself.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

its no fun without someone holding kitty. I tried it a few times. I can manage Squeek, but if I try to hold Lickorish and trim her claws, it doesn't end up well. Last time i did it, she hissed at me and avoided me for 2 days. I guess in those situations, its best to just try to do a few claws at a time, as I've seen others suggest here.

btw: she came downstairs to eat and let me pet her, and she purred. She is a little more stand-offish than usual, but hopefully we're still friends.

Last edited by CJinCA; 06-09-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page