Disapointed and upset! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Disapointed and upset!

I was supposed to pick up my kitten today from the litter that my mothers neighbor had. I picked out the one I wanted 3 weeks ago and my two kids and I have gone every week to check on him, play with him, taken pictures, picked a name, etc. On Monday she said they had been to the vet and I could pick him up saturday...today...but when we got there we found out that her husband had given the kitten to his brother two days ago!!!! They knew very well that was the one I wanted, I would have picked him up sooner but they told me today was the earliest he could go. I am just kind of shocked over it. I considered another from the litter briefly, but really I wanted one of that color/pattern, and he was the only one colored like that, plus a couple of the others now look like they have an eye infection of some sort, so I passed on the litter.

I suppose I'm in the market for a kitten now. My kids and I agreed we will keep an eye out at the local shelter for a while. I would specifically like a long haired pointed cat/kitten. There is still the large snowshoe we saw at the petsmart adoption place.

We are going on vacation at the end of the month, so I think I'm going to hold off until we get back, except for inquiring about the snowshoe. I guess I have some extra time now to work on Tiger Lily and Muffin's issue, I am very sad and disapointed over this kitten though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Premier Cat

That is disappointing! It sounds like they weren't taking you very seriously as an adopter, that they would automatically defer to the brother like that. I'd say they don't deserve you to adopt from them, but then ultimately it's the kitties that suffer. Hopefully they'll find homes for the remaining ones -- and get their cat spayed while they're at it. Sheesh.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Cat

That is very disappointing!! I hope you find just the right kitty for yourself!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Premier Cat

I know how disappointed you feel. As an ex-breeder, I also believe one has the closest bond with a kitten that chooses its owner, and I suggest you overlook any particular color or pattern. It's nice if it happens, but you will be much happier with a kitten that chooses you and wants to play with you and be with you. The next time you go kitten shopping, try and spend some time (at least an hour minimum) by just sitting on the floor and playing with the kittens, and see which one comes to you, wants to sit in your lap, wants to be beside you, or keeps coming back to you. Kittens are busy bodies and want to play, but they will indicate (or not) a preference to be with you.....the one that does that will have a closer bond with you. My white cat Alkee chose me.....I really don't like white as a color, much prefer torties or patched tabbies, but she was very definite that she wanted to be with me. At 7 y.o. she still likes to be in my lap or close to me and at this moment as I'm typing she's lying on my foot!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Things seem to work out in the end. I was supposed to be adopting two other kittens. When that fell through, I found the twins. I know it sucks right now, but there's another cat or kitten out there who really needs you more.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Senior Cat

I don't know where you live. Maybe checkout petfinder.com. They have kitten that may be in foster homes, not shelters, and often have some info on their personality.

Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

That's where I found my bratz!!

their Petfinder pics:

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Cat

I'd be disappointed too. Not only was it wrong of them to give the cat away to someone else when they already had an adopter (who only didn't go in earlier because THEY said not to), but they were also too lazy/incompetent/dishonest to give you a call telling you not to come after they gave away the cat you wanted. Not cool.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Cat Addict

it all works out in the end. maybe you're supposed to get the snowshoe. it's ironic that you were debating your obligation to that kitten because you saw another you liked and then they did that.

i look at petfinder randomly (i don't know why lol) and there are so many cats that need homes, and there are a lot where i am that are couples who lived with an elderly person who either became ill or died and they want them to go together.

i know you want a kitten but some of these older cats are very well-behaved and some of them have videos of them doing tricks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

I know it's disappointing, but honestly I think it's for the best. Adopting a new kitten and going on vacation a few weeks later is not the best idea. Especially since you have two other cats to introduce. Please delay adding another cat until you get back.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page