Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question

Hi Everyone! I have this exact item posted to "Introductions" but wanted to repeat it here so that more people would see it.
I have a question that I'm struggling with about my two kitties. They are Eiley (female - DSH - white and tiger striped - just beautiful!) and Boo (male - DSH - black - cutest, sweetest cat ever!) - they are both approx. 3 years old.
I am moving about 6 states away and when I first arrive will be staying with family until I get my own place (about a months time). My brother has a dander allergy and my kitties would have to be confined to one room - my neice's room. She loves cats, so that's not a problem, but I fear for how stressed out they will be without me at night and being confined. Boo especially is terrified of other people and I can almost feel the fear and stress he would be under. On top of that, the car ride will be 20 - 22 hours over two days. I love my kitties and want them with me, but am afraid I'm being selfish. Should I try to find a good home for them in my current area? Would they rather go through all of the stress and still be with me? Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? I would appreciate any advice you could offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Banned

First, welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
HiWould they rather go through all of the stress and still be with me?
YES. Absolutely positively they would. Hands down, no argument. Period.

There are plenty of things you can do to make things easier on them.

For the trip:
  • Get 2 LARGE carriers (cat crates) so you can set them up in the back seat w/ bed and tiny litterbox each. Offer canned food w/ added water twice a day. I would not expect them to drink much when offered, so add the water to their food.
  • Drive as directly as possible. If you have to spend the night in a motel have a big litter box you can set up, their own beds, and spray Feliway (see below) all around the room.
Once you're there:
  • If you can sleep in the room they are in, that would be best. Is there no way to make that happen?
  • Purchase some Feliway spray (FELIWAY - Official Site). Spray it in the crates for the trip and all around the room--focus on legs of furniture, door jambs, etc--places where cats can rub. Re-spray every 2 days or so.
  • If they like catnip, take some with you and throw a catnip party every day or so.
  • Take their own cat beds with you so they'll feel that something from home is with them. Put at least 1 large (preferably 2) litterboxes in their room and keep them scrupulously clean.
  • Spend as much time with them as possible.
  • Find your own place ASAP.
Keep us posted!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks so much! For part of my stay at the house, I can be in the same room with them, but that's 2 1/2 weeks after I get there. But I will spend as much time as possible with them in the room.
I am so fearful of what will happen when I HAVE to get out of the car during the trip. I will bring food with me so that I won't have to stop for that, but am concerned about bathroom stops. I can't leave the car running (with A/C going), for obvious reasons - would leaving the sunroof open be enough air so that it doesn't over heat? I imagine it would only be 5 - 10 minutes but I've heard that 5 mins. is too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

Does your car have an alarm? You could make sure they are in their carriers, open your windows (Not just cracked!), at least partway, and put on the car alarm...or if your're brave...use Depends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nan; 06-11-2012 at 04:41 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Cat Addict

Good advice but can you enlighten me? I'm not good with abbreviations. What is DSH short for?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Oh, sorry...Domestic Short Hair
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Banned

I would crank the A/C up for the last 10 min b/f you stop. Then try to park in the shade, open the windows (cats safe in carriers), RUN to the bathroom and RUN back. 5 min. should be OK.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
Thanks so much! For part of my stay at the house, I can be in the same room with them, but that's 2 1/2 weeks after I get there. But I will spend as much time as possible with them in the room.
I am so fearful of what will happen when I HAVE to get out of the car during the trip. I will bring food with me so that I won't have to stop for that, but am concerned about bathroom stops. I can't leave the car running (with A/C going), for obvious reasons - would leaving the sunroof open be enough air so that it doesn't over heat? I imagine it would only be 5 - 10 minutes but I've heard that 5 mins. is too long.
5 minutes in the sun with the windows rolled up is too long. greenhouse effect. do what hoofmaiden said with the ac and parking in the shade if possible. taking both carriers into the rest stop with you would be a little cumbersome. and i wouldn't want to leave my sunroof open enough for someone to get inside. if a car thief wants a car, they get it no matter what--just try not to make it too easy for them.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

One suggestion--do a test. Get a thermometer. Drive around w/ A/C on for 10 min until car is nice and cool. Then stop, roll windows down a bit, put thermometer in the back seat, and leave car for 5 min. Check what the temp gets to both when parked in shade and when parked in sun. That should be instructive!

You can also get battery-powered fans. Getting a few of those and training them on kitties when you tear in to pee would help a lot.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

Also: You actually CAN leave the A/C running when you stop if you take a spare key w/ you. It's not great for the environment, but 5 min a few times a day won't be that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page