What a difference.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

What a difference....

..a year makes.

Shepherd Book went from driving me (and MowMow) completely bonkers to really settling in. March and APril were just OVER the top. I wasn't well and MOwMow was having trouble dealing with my mother staying with us (with no end in sight) and Book just compounded the problem so badly I thought I'd have to rehome him. I didn't want to even think to hard about it, he was an adult (almost) black cat and kitten season was coming up.... who would want him?

After my mom went home and I was more mobile I was able to really lay down the law. I took on a zero tolerance policy for his shenanigans. I don't know if it was that, his age finally kicking in or a combination of the two but he really got himself together.

Granted, I still can't leave ANYTHING edible on the counter or on the lowest shelf of the cabinet. It has to be in a sealed glass container. He'll chew through plastic containers and bags. I can't leave my food on the table and walk away to get anything. I have to tuck him under my arm and take him with me.

What seems to have changed is his attitude. He still loves to bug his brother but now it seems play ful and not aggressive. It's a bit disconcerting but even when I'm just sitting on the couch he lays there and stares at me with this goofy adoring gaze until he falls asleep. If I make eye contact he flops over and shows me his belly, chirping and trilling for rubs. He still tries to steal MowMow's spots (closest to me) but as long as he can touch me with a paw or even his tail he seems content now.

The two of them have worked out a truce. Book still grabs at MowMow and will still smack him in the head at food time but now instead of running off and hiding MOwMOw knows to stay close to me and if Book runs at him I'm there to intercept him with a dishcloth flick to the backside. As long as MowMow can molest him on a regular basis (in the worse sense of the word), he seems to be happy to tolerate Books presence and they even get in chasing fits running around the apartment.

Anyway, I've FINALLY grown pretty attached to the little beast. I was always fond of him, even when he infuriated me but now I quite love the Demon Spawn.

THeir catnip cigar was MIA for the longest time, I found it when I moved the couch yesterday. Here is Book coming down from a catnip high.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

I LOVE his name, BTW!! Brownshirt power!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so glad he's calmed down! Such a sweet little innocent boy, I don't believe half the stories you tell.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

What a cutie! Black cat on a white carpet.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Premier Cat

Glad to hear Book's settled down....as you say it could be a combination of things, a little tough love on your part I'm sure played a big part.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Cat

I can definitely relate. Brody was a holy terror up until about a month ago. He turned one in March. Just like your Shepherd Book. Picking on Sasha and Sherlock, trying to grab food all the time, getting into everything. It took a lot of patience and tough love. When Sherlock got sick we kept him in our room for 2 weeks after to be separate from the other cats and I could tell Brody missed him. Once we let him out he started to be well-behaved, like a switch or something. So I totally understand how you feel. Shepherd Book does have that cute little innocent look haha.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Cool Cat

wow, i am so happy for you! at last! all your patience has paid off. ahh, the joys of motherhood.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm so happy that he has finally settled down. I can totally relate though...I've got a 9 month old who is in her terrible 2s and is attacking both of my adults. My girl won't fight back, but my boy Snickers will. I guess she's trying to claim alpha status because it definitely isn't play. The water bottle is my friend and her nemesis.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Banned

My Jonah is almost 3 and he is STILL a holy terror. I had one other cat like this--Loki--who was a PITA until he was 14! We then had 4 pretty normal years and he died at 18+. I'm assuming that Jonah will continue to be Demon Spawn for a good while yet, alas!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolee View Post
The water bottle is my friend and her nemesis.

Lol. I have one as well that I decoupaged all pretty and in pink lettering it says "Feline Torture Device." Book lives in fear of the Feline Torture Device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page