Obesity and colour - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Obesity and colour

Very odd question but has there been any research into any possible relationship between cat colours and a tendency to obesity?

I have four cats (five if you could the abandoned mother who is being spayed on Monday and will be kept if she settles down). Only one of them is fat.

Lottie was overweight when I first got her from the shelter and, although she has lost some weight, she is still larger than the others.

I didn't think much beyond individual metabolism since the vet said there was no underlying problem but recently I was back at the Shelter for an open day. I couldn't help but notice that the few obese cats they had were all predominantly white with black patches - the same as Lottie.

Maybe this is just an odd coicidence ut it did arouse my curiosity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Cool Cat

I would think the only way colour would be linked with weight is in specific breeds (e.g. I think Bombay's cane become overweight more easily).

However, in a local shelter, I wonder what the odds are that there's some fatty White-with-Black tom wandering around the neighborhoods making kittens?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Cat Addict

I don't think color is related to obesity, but diet and activity level is. You overfeed, they gain weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Cat

I've seen two obese cats in person and they were both black/white.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Absolutely not...it's all about how much they're fed in relation to their activity level.

But here's a possible theory....Shelter cats, especially those who have been there for a long time, tend to be overweight...they are typically free fed a low quality dry food diet and sit in cages or are confined to small rooms so they don't get any exercise. They eat out of boredom.

Combine that with black and black & white cats being the most difficult to get adopted, therefore spending more time in shelter and that might account for seeing a lot of overweight black & white cats in the shelter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Premier Cat

That's like saying all blondes are busty or all brunettes are obese.....
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Premier Cat

Can't say I've ever noticed a tendency of black/white cats to be overweight. It think it's related to the type of food (dry kibble as opposed to canned or raw), activity level, and appetite. The fattest cat I've ever owned was a blue tabby Manx who didn't have a stop button on his appetite. If there was food out he would eat it until it was gone. I had to resort to confining him by himself for his meals, and gave him specific portions to keep his weight in check. He was quite active as well and at that time neutered and was an indoor/outdoor cat, and was a very good hunter.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The possibility of the local Tom is an interesting one as seeral of them had very similar patterning.

I don't think it's as simple as a question of diet in the shelter. They normally have about 100 + cats there. Admittedly some of these were not visible on the Open Day that got me thinking, but I also go there when it is closed to the general public. There were plenty of tabbies on show and not one plump one.

They feed mainly wet and raw feed (they have an arrangement of some sort with a fishing fleet) and when we had Lottie she was in a single pen with a dietary plan pinned up. As she wasn't a cat we had come to see (just in the same row as one), it certainly wasn't an effort to impress. Several of the fatties were among those who had free run of the site rather than being in pens and so should have had more opportunity for exercise than the slim-line ones in pens.

Last edited by Arianwen; 06-14-2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: I made a lot of typos - not unusual, unfortunately!!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
That's like saying all blondes are busty or all brunettes are obese.....
I didn't suggest that all white and black cats were obese - I asked if any research suggested a predispoition in that direction - simply because my observations in one place made me curious.

Apparently research in humans has suggested that red haired people are more likely to be left handed! Even in people there can be apparently bizarrre patterns without them being anything like universal.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to Poetess
No, I've never seen or heard of any studies to do with obesity and black and white cats. I know that there are some breeds/animals that are prone to certain diseases, but as most black and white shelter cats would likely just be mixes of random breeds, I don't really see anything too common there.

I think the fact that they are shelter cats would more likely have something to do with it. Also, the longer animals are not active, the less they burn. If they were strays before being put in the shelter, that could have something to do with it as well. My grandmother took in a lot of strays throughout several years, and a lot of them tended to eat whatever they saw; they didn't have an off button. We always suspected it was because with being strays, they never knew when or how much they'd be able to find to eat, so to them like a survival thing - even after having a home for years. So if you mix that with being cooped up for possibly months, that could definitely contribute.

- Carolyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Poetess; 06-14-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page