Cats 101: Stupid, or just misinformed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Cats 101: Stupid, or just misinformed?

I downloaded the a few episodes of Cats 101 and have been watching it the last few weeks over my lunch breaks.

Is it just me, or is this show pretty badly researched? They introduce a breed, and then they tell a story about a cat that's apparently that breed, but most of the time it's a regular domestic moggie that might look sort of like it. (e.g. Featuring the Bombay! Now here's a story about a trucker with a black cat he found on the side of the road.) They also seem to gloss over health problems and I don't think I've seen a breed yet that wasn't considered a "great family pet."

The one episode with the Maine Coon featured said you can tell it's a Maine Coon by the "M" on its forehead! Uh, excuse me? So suddenly every tabby's a 'coon now?

Some of the "breeders" seem a bit sketchy too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Jr. Cat

Their episode that included the munchkin cat worked my nerves. No offence if anyone owns one but the breeders in that episode got on my nerves. Yes the defect may be naturally occurring , but that isn't a trait that should be bred for. Yet the show made it seem like a great thing and its an awesome looking cat to have. That poor thing had a full sized body on super short legs. What happens if one gets out , how will it protect it self, what happens if they age and lose their mobility.

Sorry rant over now!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Cat Addict

it's not you. it's a "reader's digest" sort of cat show, not meant to be too specific so it will appeal to everyone. i watched it once and was like .

some people probably like it, it just didn't interest me much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

It's entertainment. I like watching it, but I don't take everything it says as gospel. I do think, however, it's pretty good about pointing out health issues and reasons why every cat isn't the right pet for everyone, including which cats might not be great with kids.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
It's entertainment. I like watching it, but I don't take everything it says as gospel. I do think, however, it's pretty good about pointing out health issues and reasons why every cat isn't the right pet for everyone, including which cats might not be great with kids.
I feel the same, too. I feel it's appeal is in the presentation. Some people who may not know about cats in general or a specific breed will then want to find out more by watching the show.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Cool Cat

The producer of the show is definitely not very knowledgable, not only to cats, but also to geographices. In the episode of Siamese, when they talk about Siamese being originated from Tailand, they show a picture of acient Chinese, with backgrouds of Tibet and MODERN Beijing. Hellooooo, is there anyone prove-reading? I can understand some westerns can't distinguish Chinese style with Japanese style, but from Chinese to Tailand? They are not even close!

And the info about cats? I only watched about 1/3 of the whole series and there are already a handful of mistakes I can count. So just consider it as an entertaining show, but don't take it serious.

Last edited by yingying; 06-14-2012 at 09:04 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Cool Cat

To everybody saying "It's only entertainment, don't take it serious". That's fine for us who are experienced cat owners.
But there are some people (as mentioned) who watch the show to learn about new breeds...and they DO take everything seriously. Several times people have come to our rescue group to adopt a cat, and they want one particular breed "because I heard such and such about it". We always try to tell them that even though that those features may be typical with a breed, every individual cat can (and will) have it's own little details, quirks and faults... and then of course we try to push them to adopt a mutt cat that either looks like or acts like they wanted in the first place
Some people do end up saying "No thanks, I wanted X kind" and leave. Sigh.

Last edited by Vivid Dawn; 06-14-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: punctuation properly!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Premier Cat

My only two complaints are that (as Vivid Dawn said) people believe everything they say. PErsonally, something I see on TV or even read on the internet I research thoroughly before BELIEVING it but some people just find it easier to believe everything they hear (otherwise how can you explain people listening to Rush Limbaugh)

My other complaint is breeds. That Bombay and truck driver are the perfect example. It leads people to believe that every black cat they see is a Bombay when it's such a rare breed that chances are MINUTE that you got a real Bombay from the shelter/rescue/street. Or that every colorpoint they find is a Siamese or a ragdoll or whatever. Every long hair big cat is a Maine Coon.... The chances are SO slim that you should just buy a lottery ticket.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

The name Cats 101 implies that they are providing basic education about cats. With that in mind, I think they have an obligation to provide accurate information. Of course mistakes happen occasionally, I could understand if it was about more esoteric information, but not something as basic as what the M on a cat's forehead means. They need to do better research...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Cool Cat

For one thing, MOST tabbies have an M on their forehead (though I was looking at a classic tabby the other day, and his was more of a roman numeral 6 LOL). I was also told that there's a legend that tabbies got that, because it was a cat who kept Jesus warm and purred him to sleep, so the M is where Mary patted the cat on the head and left her blessing mark. A'course that's just a legend, but it was meant for ALL tabbies, not just a particular breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page