Wow, it's easy to find kittens... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Wow, it's easy to find kittens...

I've kept an eye out for kittens ever since the thing with my moms neighbors kitten fell through, and wow, they're everywhere. I never noticed before, it's kind of sad really. There are TONS on craigslist, at the shelter, petsmart...I don't see how they find homes...I guess alot don't.

I mentioned at work today that I was looking for a kitten and sure enough, a guy I work with has a cat that had kittens. They are 6 weeks old now, two black and two tabby. I told him I am going on vacation in a week and that I am possibly interested in one of the black ones if they are available when I get back. They will be 8 weeks then, so we'll see...not getting my hopes up again, but it's a possiblity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 02:50 AM
Cool Cat

They are everywhere. It's so heartbreaking at so many of them are in need of loving homes. Unfortunately there are so many more kittens than people looking for kittens to adopt largely due to people not being responsible and having their cats de-sexed.

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:06 AM
Cat Addict

I personally would go to a shelter and not support someone who didn't bother getting their cat fixed (unless they are a registered breeder of course). To each their own I guess.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Cool Cat

I agree with Becky. If they are able to re-home the kittens easily, they will probably be more likely to not fix their cat and just keep letting her have kittens that they think they will be able to keep finding homes for..

Bec

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Cat

Why don't people spay/neuter their animals? Ugghhhh

Last edited by doodlebug; 06-16-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: language
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by love.my.cats View Post
I agree with Becky. If they are able to re-home the kittens easily, they will probably be more likely to not fix their cat and just keep letting her have kittens that they think they will be able to keep finding homes for..
I thought about that. On the other hand, if no one takes them they could end up at a shelter anyway or he could keep them and they could run around unfixed and continue to breed. It's a crappy situation all around.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
I've kept an eye out for kittens ever since the thing with my moms neighbors kitten fell through, and wow, they're everywhere. I never noticed before, it's kind of sad really. There are TONS on craigslist, at the shelter, petsmart...I don't see how they find homes...I guess alot don't.
You're right. A lot don't. Then they grow up and aren't "cute" anymore, and adult cats are even harder to adopt out. So the kittens who aren't adopted get to sit in shelters... and depending on your view of "lucky", they either get euthanized or sit in a cage day after day, after day, after da.... etc.

While I'm glad I work at a "shelter" that the cats are free roaming in big rooms with toys, cat towers, and have each other to play with... it would still be better if they could have a home with human interaction on a regular basis.
Our shelter is VERY low on funds, and we do not have a full time staff (actually, we have no staff... it's all volunteers). The only time humans are there, are for the cleaning, which usually takes 2-4 hours. So 20 hours a day, the cats have to entertain themselves.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

I went to the shelter to visit a couple of weeks ago and they said aside from the kittens you saw there they had over 200 in foster care. Thank goodness they are a no kill shelter.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkona View Post
Why don't people spay/neuter their animals? Ugghhhh
Because they are either ignorant or don't care (or a combination of both).

Last edited by marie73; 06-16-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: quote language
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
So many people think of the spike in kittens in May and June as "normal" this time of year. Me, I would rather spay and neuter and I am beginning to feel vets should do desexing operations at cost as a good will gesture; plus required by law that all dogs and cats be desexed. I know, very controverial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page