Spent some time in the cat room today - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Spent some time in the cat room today

Some of you may know that my family has been looking for a new addition. We were supposed to get a kitten from my moms neighbor but that fell through, then we looked at petsmart and considered a kitten from another oops litter as well as shelter kittens.

Today my kids and I stopped by a local rescue that has a storefront to get an idea of their procedures and such, and it was a wonderful experience. The director was very nice, encouraged us to play with the kittens and spend time with the cats. The kittens were kittens...short attention spans and hard to get a feel for personalities. What I am really looking for is a cat that is like Muffin, laid back, affectionate, people oriented. I tried to take some advise I got on this forum and not get hung up on color or kittens in particular. We went into the adult cat room and sat on the floor to see how the cats would react to us. Several came over right away and rubbed on us and three got right in our laps and layed down at different times. One in particular was all over my son and I, back and forth between our laps. I didn't really want another brown tabby because I have two and I wanted variety, but this was a nice brown tabby boy named Brody, 4 years old, owner surrendered to a shelter and then pulled on his last day by the rescue. The other two were a silver tabby boy and a tortie girl, but my kids can't stop talking about Brody, they are more excited over him than the kittens.

We were approved for adoption and the director told us to just come back when we get back from our vacation next week and basically pick a cat. No guarantee Brody will be there, but if he is, we may have a winner.

Quick question, if a cat is affectionate like that in a shelter environment is that a good indicator of how its personality will be at home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
First question is do you intend to quarantine Brody before introducing him to your existing cats? I have always quarantined a new cat to make sure I do not bring any disease into my catroom. If you are going to do that, then you will have Brody in a room by himself and after a short period of adjustment for the new location, he should resume his affectionate and outgoing nature within a few days. I would then suggest, after a thorough vet exam, you do a gradual introduction to your other cats. Brody may be nervous and less loving during this time and may slink around the other cats or even have some hissing and aggressive posturing at first. However, his loving nature and his need for human physical attention, should draw him to the humans in the house while he and your other cats establish their social structure.

In all the cats I have ever rescued or purchased and taken home, all quickly rebounded and were the same basic loving and attention seeking cats they were at the pet store or the rescue facility.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Yes, I would have a vet appt lined up for him on the way home and then have him in a seperate room, probably the master bath, then let him into the bedroom, then gradually the whole house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

I sure wouldn't add another cat, especially an adult, while your other two are still sorting things out.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Premier Cat

In my two experiences of adopting cats from shelters, both of them were consistent in their personalities at the shelter and when we got them home. The first was shy and seemed kind of depressed; the other was in-your-face affectionate.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Cat

Both of my boys are rescue cats. Both personalities are essentially the same as they were when I met them. Just, more filled out so to speak. Archie was a little quieter when I first met him. But he still loves a good belly rub, purrs like an old fridge, and lets me pick him up and blow raspberries on his belly ( don't judge ). He's just now more confident in his home so he's a little more playful and bold.

Same goes for Winston, they plopped my little tank in my arms at the rescue and he immediately melted and started purring. He is still mellow, cuddly and drooly; but also more confident and playful like Archie. If anything he is *more* cuddly than he was.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecoonmama View Post
blow raspberries on his belly ( don't judge )
I blow raspberries on Holly's belly too...

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Cool Cat

Io got about 10 times louder after we brought her home. (Wait, what's 10x(silence)? Ah well you get the idea). She also perked up and got a lot more curious - but she doesn't get along with other cats so I think the cat house was stressing her out.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
I blow raspberries on Holly's belly too...
Same with MowMow. I like kissing and zerberting his belly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I sure wouldn't add another cat, especially an adult, while your other two are still sorting things out.
Very very very much this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Cool Cat

When I first got Tuffy at seven weeks old he was a cuddle buddy of the biggest sort - now at two years old he is much too lofty to be caught cuddling with Mommy except for very rare occasions- he likes to sleep in bed with me but not too close. I'm hoping my new baby Molly will be more of a lap cat because I love a kitty to hold when watching tv etc. Good luck in your search !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page