Scratch Greetings? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Scratch Greetings?

We've heard of stretch greetings, but do you also get scratch greetings? Every time my husband or I get home, Murphy greets us and immediately finds something to scratch -- a leg of the couch, the wall, or most often, the tops of our shoes. Is there something about scratching that says, "I'm glad you're home"? Or maybe it's an anxiety type reaction, like "Uh-oh, incoming. Better scratch something to prove this place is mine."

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

My cats do this frequently too. Harli greets me at the door and then runs to her scratching post. Lily uaually runs to the carpeted stairs and starts scratching. I think it means they are excited and happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Cool Cat

I agree with Nan. Sometimes when we're petting Io she gets really excited, wiggles and rolls on the floor, and then has to run over to her cardboard scratcher and have a go.

We call it her "hugbox" because it's under the table and she seems to go there when she gets overstimulated from affection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Right, it's like the scratching is saying, "Nah nah, I didn't really get so emotional knowing you were home."

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Cool Cat

Tuffy does that too - must be a cat thing!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Tom Cat

Yes, mine announce their presence in a room by scratching on the post. Especially first thing in the morning when they come into our room.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

It's a marking response, especially on your shoes...he's saying "you smell like a bunch of other stuff that I don't like...c'mere I need to make you mine again"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
It's a marking response, especially on your shoes...he's saying "you smell like a bunch of other stuff that I don't like...c'mere I need to make you mine again"
I think there's more to it than this. I've just been down to feed Guy, the outside abandoned cat. If he's really hungry he'll scratch at the screen on the screen door (as he did this morning), or on the posts around the sundeck. However, he doesn't scratch if he's not hungry.

At two o'clock this morning Missy knew I was awake and she scratched at the carpet. "Hey! I'm hungry." She rarely scratches when I've been out and get home. She will sometimes scratch when she wants my attention. "Where's the laser?"

JusJim
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Do you think scratching serves as an attention-getting thing along with marking their territory? It's almost like they're trying to show off. But when Murphy goes for our shoes, which he does every single night, that does sound like marking.

Holly and Murphy
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

My girls hit the scratching posts when I get up and when I get home. It's their Happy Feet.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page