Cat shouldn't be called 'pets' - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat shouldn't be called 'pets'

They are clearly so much more than that. I call my two boys my companions, my friends and my family. I care for them like I would for a member of my family, I worry about them when I'm gone and I've lost count of the times I leave the house only to double-back just to make sure I didn't leave a window open they might fall out of (I live in the city and they are strictly indoor kitties, plus 13 years old).

In short, I do and worry about things concerning them to a degree that the term 'pet' doesn't cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Cat Addict

I agree! I never, ever, get upset with my cats. They give me nothing but happiness and love and they are the best things in my life, I'm not kidding. Sorry, friends and family, but if I had to choose....
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Cool Cat

But they are both companions and pets. The word I'd like to do away with is owner. However, my sister pointed out that there's a need for some sort of connection, perhaps for legal reasons. I like to think of myself as a guardian/caretaker. They are far too intelligent to be owned.

Can't say I never get angry at Missy. She got hooked up on my pants about a week ago and slashed me when I tried to unhook. I called her a few choice names as I tried to stem the blood flow. I never let it last long because it's not deliberate hurt. She can be very gentle, though. She'll sometimes reach out with a soft paw and tap my arm when she wants attention.

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Cat

Our 4 cats are our children, family, companions, not pets. We worry, fret and love them like family. Not that we don't get upset with them from time to time. I don't know what we would do without them, they bring so much joy to our lives!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I find the term pet to be insufficient in truly expressing what our cats mean to us. No disrespect to others out there, but a hamster is a pet or anything kept in an enclosure.

But a cat that cuddles, plays and sleeps with me is a companion to my heart and soul.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Daddy View Post
They are clearly so much more than that. I call my two boys my companions, my friends and my family
Tutu is my furry child and no amount of eye-rolling from her human daddy can change that

The love she shows me is immeasurable, just like a human infant. She even gazes into my eyes when I hold her.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Cool Cat

I don't see a different between the word "pet" and feelings and attributes you guys are saying.

I've had pets my whole life, and I have a pet cat. Having a pet (versus having an animal, say, or 'raising animals') implies all the responsibility, love, heartache, and care that we put into them and receive in return. I don't ever doubt that my friends with pets feel the same way. Maybe it's the descriptivist in me.

Though, personally, I do prefer the term 'companion animal', but don't have any problems with the ownership. This is my cat, and I'm not giving her up to anyone. I love her, but she's not smart enough to make good choices on her own (eating nothing but cheese, never seeing the vet, defenestrating herself, practising kitty parkour in the glassware, etc). I own her because I control her life in a way I could never control another human or creature I didn't own.

I guess its sort of like how I prefer to call my husband (well, technically long-term comman-law-husband) my 'partner'. "Husband" and "Wife" have too many negative, religious, and gender/sexually oppressive connotations for me to use comfortably.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
It is all semantics; pet, companion animal, whatever. Just as long as I can have them living with me and being my fur and feather kids, I do not care what one calls them. It does not change how I feel about them or how I treat them. And anyone not willing to spend time around them need not come to my house.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Daddy View Post
I find the term pet to be insufficient in truly expressing what our cats mean to us. No disrespect to others out there, but a hamster is a pet or anything kept in an enclosure.

But a cat that cuddles, plays and sleeps with me is a companion to my heart and soul.
Our definitions of what is a pet are different. I presume your cats are not allowed to run free and are kept in the enclosure of a house. (Ok. I know what you mean, I'm just stretching things.) This is responsible behaviour here in North America where there are many dangers for cats and is good guardianship. There are fewer dangers for cats running free in the UK. I don't know about other countries.

For me, a pet must be able to respond to any affection I show it. I presume hamsters are kept in cages to prevent their getting lost in the house. I've never kept a hamster so I don't know how one would respond.

Some people keep their cats in cages. (horrible to me) Are they pets or companions?

JusJim
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Banned

As the saying goes ...

Dogs have masters.
Cats have staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page