Do cats ever do things to be a good sport? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Do cats ever do things to be a good sport?

My husband has a new and, I must admit, funny thing he does with Murphy. When Murphy is on a wood floor, my husband grabs him by the scruff, says "Want to play kitty roomba?", and swishes Murphy around the floor like a mop. Murphy runs over to let him do it, purrs, stays in that one position so he can get swooshed around, and when it's over stays there and looks like he's hoping for more.

How do you know if something might be hurtful to them? Can I assume that, based on him eagerly participating and not running away, that he likes it? Or could it be a sad thing, like he's just glad to get that attention from my husband? Does he know he's playing? I just wonder if there's such a thing as them doing something to be a good sport, even if it might hurt them.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Cat Addict

Without seeing it, it is very hard to judge but my instinctive reaction to tyour description wa to be worried. Please remember that purring can be a reaction to pain as well as pleasure.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Premier Cat

I would say if he doesn't run AWAY or try to leave in any manner he probably doesn't mind. From my limited experience they may tolerate things they don't like but they wouldn't seek it out if they didn't enjoy it.

I certainly don't think Murphy is going to willingly be hurt or upset for attention. I'm sure he gets enough from you that he's not that desperate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Murphy runs over to let him do it, purrs, stays in that one position so he can get swooshed around, and when it's over stays there and looks like he's hoping for more.

How do you know if something might be hurtful to them? Can I assume that, based on him eagerly participating and not running away, that he likes it?
My vote is that he likes it. We do this to Muffin too. He'll be lying on the floor, staring at us and purring away (silly boy...) and one of use will go over to him, grab his back feets (that he sticks up in the air for this) and spin him around in circles. He purrs louder, and will walk over to you, flop onto the floor, and wave his back feet at you to ask for it. It's one of his favorite games.

He also loves being tossed in the air, like people do with babies. It's a game he only does with my SO. He'll go over to 'daddy', and my SO will pick him up under his armpits, and toss him into the air. His tail lashes, and he makes an alarmed face, but if his daddy puts him down after only one toss he gets agitated and runs back for more. *shrugs* He's enjoyed it since he was a kitten.

I think it's Rachel's Magneto that likes spankings??? Doran does too. If I want to play tag with him I'll pat his bum hard, so you hear a solid 'thump thump' but not hard enough to bruise or hurt, and Doran gets super excited, sticks him bum out for more, then rockets away. He does a lap around our main level, then comes back for more. I do that a few times to get him really wound up, then I'll chase him. I whap him again when I catch him, then I turn and run away and he chases me. He LOVES it.

I've said this before to, but one of the games the cats seem to really like is the 'annoy the kitty' game my SO plays with them. He'll sit near them, not looking at them until they look away, then he'll poke them and pretend he wasn't doing anything. Think like a little brother being annoying. Then the kitty stares at him, purposely looks away, and tries to catch him when he goes to poke them again. Another version is when he holds his finger close enough to their ear that he's just brushing their ear hairs. Eventually they'll get bored of this part, and then they'll play that game where they try to put their paw on top of your hand, then if you put your hand on their paw they put their paw on top, ect.
I have no idea why, but our cats do come up to my SO and ask for these games to start. Doran or Muffin will walk up to my SO and put their paw on his hand, the start of that game, or they'll walk up to him sit next to him and pointedly ignore him. It's hard to explain without seeing it, but it's obvious to me that they enjoy the games. I make a point of watching their body language, and making sure they aren't actually irritated and bothered, but they always go back for more!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
He'll sit near them, not looking at them until they look away, then he'll poke them and pretend he wasn't doing anything. Think like a little brother being annoying.
Easy for me to say, but this cracks me up.

Thanks for the reality check. I'm on the protective side with Murphy . . . okay, I'm off the charts on the protective side, so I always err on the side of -- NO! That might hurt him! But then boys will be boys, and pretty soon you have a husband swooshing your cat around like a mop.

Holly and Murphy

Last edited by October; 06-26-2012 at 02:11 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Premier Cat

Haha! Mow likes his back end thumped as well. I can 'PATPATPATPATPAT' really hard above his tail and he just gets more and more excited. Eventually he goes into overdrive and chomps (while still begging for more pats)on me.

I put MOwMOw on his back on the bed with a hand spread over his belly and the other spread across his chest and press him into the mattress and bounce him three or four times before letting him go. Kind of like gentle CPR compression. The bed springs him up on the last bounce when I let go and he takes off zooming around and yowling for me to chase. If I say to him "Ima BOUNCE you!" He starts lashing his tail and flips over onto his back ready for it.

Last edited by MowMow; 06-26-2012 at 02:20 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Tom Cat

You know sometimes I think Ritz condescends to sit on my lap because she knows I really like it when she does. Then she rolls onto her back and requests a belly rub.
Ritz is a skittish cat and afraid of her own shadow sometimes so I can't play the games you mention. Once she "played" with a plastic garbage bag and a carton of eggs: Ritz, 0; Eggs, 18.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:20 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
Patting a male cat on the base of the tail is like masturbation for them. Same with a dog; but with dogs it is male or female. I try not to get them excited in that way.

I have one cat that likes to be twirled in a circle while they lay on their back on the floor.

I had one little longhaired black and white that loved to have her fur gently pulled. The breeder said her mother would pull the kittens' fur when she groomed them. Sapho loved to have her fur gently yanked and would collapse in a purring puddle on the floor. The breeder stopped breeding her mother because she felt the mother was performing kitten abuse during the grooming. The mother did not groom herself by pulling her own hair; just the kittens'.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Cat Addict

i think cats will tolerate some things from very small children occasionally (but you can't count on it so i don't let small children get close to my cats if they are visiting) but i don't think they let adults do things they don't like without complaining or at least running away.

every cat i've ever had likes to played like a bongo. i don't mean over the base of their tails, just on their sides or wherever, in a rhythmic way but of course not hard enough to hurt. i also wave them in the air if i'm lying in bed by holding them and lifting them as high as they will go, but baci won't let me do this. i like to make them "dance" but i don't do it very often. some people say making them dance is torturing them but i don't think so as long as i don't do it for a long time or if i can tell they don't want to. i also play fetch sometimes and palm the ball or toy instead of throwing it. i know that's a messed up thing to do because they're like, "WHERE?" but it's so funny. then i throw it.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like Murph-man is having fun. I doubt he would let it continue if it bothered him. But I will say that some cats will do things just to please us humans...I used to put hats on Onyx and she would sit there giving me the evil eye, she'd raise a paw to try and take it off and I would just quietly say "no" and the paw would slowly come down. A few minutes later she would slowly try again...and I'd say "no" and the paw would come down. Yes...I can be a mean mommy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page