Cat Hair!?!?!?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thumbs down Cat Hair!?!?!?!

I have 3 house cats that shed like crazy. I seriously can not go to bed and get up with out being covered in cat hair and I can't get the cat hair off my sheets/blankets/curtains ect. It's insane! Is there anything I can give my cats to reduce the shedding?

They are already on an ultra premium feed. (Natural Balance; indoor formula)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Premier Cat

HOw often do you groom them?
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I quit grooming because I couldn't find a brush that works? Any recommendations? I got tired of wasting money on stuff that wouldn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Senior Cat

Dead serious...... I am a finicky home owner with three, large, long haired indoor only male cats, and one outdoor only long haired tortie female . Two of the males are white with huge coats, the other male is a black and white tuxedo. I know hair.

A Zoom Groom and a grey hound comb. Go over them with the Zoom Groom until the large wads of hair slows down, and then finish with the fine toothed side of a greyhound comb.

I came to this after A LOT of experimentation and research about cat grooming. It works very well for me.

Others will mention a furminator, which I highly disapprove of, but many like it. That is another option.

Grooming is truly the only way to get it under control. I wish there were a pill, or a magic elixir, but there isn't any other healthy alternative that works. If there were, I would use that and the Zoom Groom.

p.s. Get a Dyson. It's worth it.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Is the Zoom Groom the KONG Zoom Groom Brush?

My 3 has short-medium length hair.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Cool Cat

I was using a slicker brush on Io since we got her but something happened last week. She now hates it, and will seek it out to knock it down and hiss at it and attack it. I wonder if she accidentally bit it or stepped on it and that's why she hates it now? :/

Guess I'm in the market for a zoom groom now. My partner has begun to put his foot down on the "cat things" budget. Not that I blame him, it's my own fault, but now there's hair everywhere. I can't even colour coordinate to minimize it because each of her hairs is stripy.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post

A Zoom Groom and a grey hound comb. Go over them with the Zoom Groom until the large wads of hair slows down, and then finish with the fine toothed side of a greyhound comb.

I came to this after A LOT of experimentation and research about cat grooming. It works very well for me.

Others will mention a furminator, which I highly disapprove of, but many like it. That is another option.

Grooming is truly the only way to get it under control. I wish there were a pill, or a magic elixir, but there isn't any other healthy alternative that works. If there were, I would use that and the Zoom Groom.

p.s. Get a Dyson. It's worth it.
This. I agree 100%. And I also highly disapprove of the furminator.
And the Dyson, I wish I could get one in my country!
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Cat Addict

What is a furminator?
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Tom Cat

I love my dyson. I can't say enough good things about it. Otherwise I have nothing to add...

Arianwen, the furminator is a brush/comb thing. I think it is supposed to be an undercoat rake for double coated dogs. I got one for my sheltie but I feel like it breaks the coat. I just use a normal undercoat rake on him.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
What is a furminator?
Furminators look like this:

Zoom Grooms (yes, the kong brand) look like this:

The zoom groom looks like a gimmicky waste of money. I totally would have thought they were a joke until I was educated else where about how well they gently remove hair. Especially from cats with delicate, silky coats. But, this thing works wonders on my Siberian Husky, too, who puts out double the hair of ALL MY CATS COMBINED.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Kong, I don't sell Zoom Grooms, I don't own a pet store. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my kids, and this is what I use on all of them, who all have long plush coats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page