Bad place to put a litter box? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Bad place to put a litter box?

Hello All,

Is there a place, say a bedroom or living room, that is not best to place a litter box?

I'm thinking the main litter box for a soon to be adopted cat would be in my bath room (tile floor) and was looking for a good secondary location (most of the rest of the area is carpeted.. not ideal for box I would assume.. (the notion being this is a second cat so boxes being 2 +1.

For the record, the bathroom and bedroom are not directly connected to each other, but are on the same floor (top floor of the building, which is pretty much all mine)

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Senior Cat

I'm not really an expert on the subject, but litter box should be easily accessed and offer the cat some level of privacy. I don't think carpet or tile makes much difference...mine are in the bathroom with marble tile floor. If you put it on carpet, there are mats you can buy to put under it. The main concern there is all the litter that will get kicked out onto the floor, and you probably don't want that in your carpet.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

My three cats have two litter boxes. The "1 each plus 1 extra" is really not practical for lots of people, especially those with multiple cats. You can start out with 3 and then see how they do with 2. There's no right or wrong place. Personally, I'd never have one in the bathroom because I don't want to walk on litter, especially stepping out of the shower. I have one next to the back door, which is only used to take the trash out once a week, and one in a little alcove space, with a plush bath rug to help get the litter off their feet.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Cat Addict

We have four boxes for 4 cats; 1 in each of the bedrooms, 1 in the bathroom, and 1 in the kitchen. Our cats are not very good at sharing.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Premier Cat

Last year I went through major renovations and I probably moved the girls litter boxes 20 times in the space of 3 months. Fortunately, they always found them. So, I'm with Marie...there really is no right or wrong place. Just choose whatever works for you, preferably a place where you won't accidentally step in it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Tom Cat

I have moved my litter boxes numerous times trying to find the best spots and I think I have a good set up now. I have 3 cats and 2 boxes and so far that is working. I like them on hard surface floors personally because I found it was easier to clean up tracked litter, and I don't like them in the bedroom in case somebody lays one at night. I have one in and unused bathroom upstairs and one in the dining room...sounds kinda gross but I don't use the room much and the kitchen/dining is the only uncarpeted room downstairs.

If I had a bigger house or my dream set up, I would have a sunroom or a mudroom for them. I don't even have a laundry room though.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Tom Cat

Actually, when I had Eliza and CC I had only one box. It was a liter maid and both adjusted well to using it and is saved on liter and was easier to clean once I 'modified' it a bit.

Then we got Kermit as a kitten (his mother gave birth in our house and I kept him). So I put another liter box in the upstairs part of the house in a spare bedroom. then for convienience I added another one in the basement so they didn't have to travel two floors to do their 'thing'. Or get lazy.

I guess we have been lucky with adding an abandoned young female and having no bathroom problems to speak of. Knock on wood.

I think the worst place to put a liter box (and I used to see it when I worked in hvac) is near a forced air furnace. They are not sealed up well and they 'grab' air from around the return duct/filter area as well as from the returns in the house. So they drag in odors from the liter box and I don't think that is a good thing. But who knows?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah the situation is I live in a rectory and its a big house in which a cat has reigned for a number of years. I honestly don't know how he'll react to a new cat.

My personal quarters are basically on the third floor of the house. The resident cat wasn't happy when I moved in as I took his favorite hiding spot, the third floor. He does come up every once in a while to hide in one of the storage rooms, but won't come to me.

I can easily give the new kitten three rooms (sitting room, small office and bathroom) to explore for a few weeks as it gets use to new house. I just think it would be easier to have a box up on the third floor for the new cat, which the current king retains his throne on the second floor. I realize that the cats may have other plans, but you can't blame for trying to plan.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Senior Cat

Three big males use two big boxes. If I could find room for two more boxes I would.

Give the two boxes proper attention once in the morning and once at night, the litter lasts me about 8 days on average.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Tom Cat

I have a box on carpet, and I have no problem with it. I put a doormat near the opening to the box. The whole area is easy to vacuum when I need to. I'd much rather vacuum than sweep though so that's just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page