Help finding my new cat...he/she finds me? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Help finding my new cat...he/she finds me?

Hello all,

In a few weeks I will be adopting a cat from our local rescue society. I applied last month and visited the shelter to finish the application process. I've read a few of the threads here and have seen many members speak about the cat choosing his/her owner.

I applied asking for a kitten but having read a lot here I'm more open to whatever cat is looking for me. The thing is, how will I know? Being a tall single guy (priest) the concept of hanging out at the shelter playing with the resident felines just doesn't sound right...

I will say there was a one year old there who walked right up to me and rolled over for me to pet him. I just choked it up to being a friendly cat. Is that sort thing, which happened pretty quickly, what I should be looking for?

Any other thoughts about finding the right cat for me?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Senior Cat

While there is something to be said about a cat choosing you, I have one caveat. Some cats are simply skittish, nervous or scared of strangers and therefore have a difficult time getting adopted. Please give one of them a chance. If a cat comes up and lets you know they really want to go with you, then by all means take that cat, but if not, then ask to see the shyer cats that are having a difficult time due to their shyness, it can be rewarding to gain their trust and end up with a special friend.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Kitten

I do agree with the comment above. The shy cats are always overlooked and the friendly ones tend to get adopted. I have been in both situations. All the cats I have had in my life have either been strays or adopted from shelters. My one cat, who I have been posting about lately, was the shy one. She has kept me on my toes and it took her about 8 months, after I adopted her 7 years ago, to come around and begin trusting me. After those 8 months she has been an amazing, loving, and wonderful cat. All of our efforts paid off and I am so glad she is mine. She is one of the sweetest cats I have had. Now I just say her name and talk to her and she begins purring without even petting her. On the flip side, 8 years ago I was searching to adopt a companion for my late cat, Sam. I wanted a kitten, as it was my first cat I ever adopted and got to "pick". Every person suggested I get a 6-12 month cat because my Sam was 16 at the time and they thought he might not adjust as well to an 8 week old rambunctious kitten. While discussing that with one of the volunteers a 7 month old cat swatted my back with her paw. I turned around to see what whacked me. The volunteer strongly urged me to take her out and hold her. I did and she melted in my arms. She curled up right over my shoulder and stayed there for the longest time. Even though we seemed to click immediately I didn't adopt her. The next day I went to six different shelters and each cat I saw and held just didn't feel right for whatever reason. It was 4:30 on a Saturday and after seeing what felt like hundreds of cats my gut told me that the one I held the night before was the one for me. I rushed back before they closed to see if she was still available to adopt. Thank goodness she was. It's been 9 years later and we have a bond that I have never had before. I am not I'll have a bond like this with any other of my future cats. She follows me around, sleeps on my lap, shoulder, chest, etc. When she sits next to me on the couch she always has to touch a part of me with her paw. I am extremely glad I went with my gut and went back to get her. To this day I know she picked me. I would have never noticed her if she didn't swat me with her paw. Needless to say, she hasn't done that again since I adopted her.
Bottom line, I've adopted a shy one and one who chose me. In the end, they were both the right decision at the time. I had a gut feeling and went with it and in both cases my gut was right. Whether one picks you or you see something in one of them, you will know in your heart.

Good luck with your search. I'd love to hear how it turns out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Jr. Cat

First, I wouldn't worry about visiting rescue organization shelters often. I sure did and it helps the cats to have someone interact with them. You also get to know some staff and they can be a fountain of information and advice. I always left a donation, you know they need it and it makes you feel good, too!

After a lifetime of having cats choose or find me, I decided to choose a cat rather than be chosen by the cat this time. I started visiting shelters a few weeks before having to euthanize my last cat (18 1/2 years with kidney failure). I knew I didn't want a kitten. They can take a year or more to really see what kind of cat you have.

Cats range from the shy, reclusive or unfriendly up to the super friendly who greet you immediately and are all over you. After talking with staff on a few visits, I started focusing on adult cats in the "middle" range. They are often overlooked. I also focused on cats that were known to be ok with other cats. This is an indicator of a well socialized cat, a good thing even if it will be your only cat.

I wound up adopting two cats like this in December, 2011. It has worked out so well I almost can't believe it! I wasn't particular about color or looks, just personalities. I wound up with all black cats. They are slower to be adopted so some really wonderful black cats languish in the shelters.

To find the right cat for you, talk to the volunteers and staff. Tell them what you want in a cat. They love to match a cat with an owner. Cats will usually live 15-20 years. Take your time and choose wisely.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Tom Cat

I have adopted many cats of different ages over the years and my best experiences have been with young adults. It may be coincidence, but the cats I have gotten in the 1 to 2 year age group ended up being friendliest and easiest to integrate into my busy house. Two of the three I have now I got as adults and the latest one has totally sold me on adult adoptions.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Kittens are adorable, but they're HARD WORK. Litterbox issues, like not grooming themselves yet, stepping in their own poo, climbing curtains, chewing on blinds, tearing stuff up, chewing through wires and cords, the list goes on and on. I've adopted four adults and two kittens in the past few years, and I don't see myself ever adopting another kitten.

If you're going to get a kitten, there are advantages to getting two.

If I were going to adopt an adult, there are so many "must be only cat" adults who are loving and wonderful, but need a 1-cat only home for a variety of reasons.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Kittens are adorable, but they're HARD WORK. Litterbox issues, like not grooming themselves yet, stepping in their own poo, climbing curtains, chewing on blinds, tearing stuff up, chewing through wires and cords, the list goes on and on. I've adopted four adults and two kittens in the past few years, and I don't see myself ever adopting another kitten.

If you're going to get a kitten, there are advantages to getting two.

If I were going to adopt an adult, there are so many "must be only cat" adults who are loving and wonderful, but need a 1-cat only home for a variety of reasons.
Marie et al,

Thanks for the replies! I see the wisdom in seeking an adult cat. I can't seek out a "one cat only" cat as there are two other animals in the rectory, a cat and small dog.

Neither of those animals really associates with me, but I'm sure they would notice a new cat. I suppose a good conversation with the shelter folks is the best way to go.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidestep99 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I see the wisdom in seeking an adult cat. I can't seek out a "one cat only" cat as there are two other animals in the rectory, a cat and small dog.

Neither of those animals really associates with me, but I'm sure they would notice a new cat. I suppose a good conversation with the shelter folks is the best way to go.
What do you mean exactly?? How can they not associate w/ you when you all live in the same house? Will they have access to your cat or do you have a separate apartment, or what? If there will be another cat in the house that will have acces to your cat, then you will need to do a slow and careful introduction right from the start. Things can go very wrong if you don't take care!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofmaiden View Post
What do you mean exactly?? How can they not associate w/ you when you all live in the same house? Will they have access to your cat or do you have a separate apartment, or what? If there will be another cat in the house that will have acces to your cat, then you will need to do a slow and careful introduction right from the start. Things can go very wrong if you don't take care!
Ok, fair enough, the rectory is a large building and I live on the top floor. The dog is prevented from coming up to the third floor through the use of a baby gate. The resident cat does occasionally come up but only to rest/hide in one of the spare rooms. That cat, Mikey, is rather quiet and only comes out to get treats. Other than that, he sleeps.

I know that it would be absurd to expect any new cat to not roam all around the house, into the area of the dog and all. I do plan on a very slow introduction to both the Mikey and the dog. For the first few weeks the new cat will be restricted to the third floor. When all the animals are familiar with each other will he/she be free to roam.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Premier Cat

[QUOTE=marie73;859030]Kittens are adorable, but they're HARD WORK. Litterbox issues, like not grooming themselves yet, stepping in their own poo, climbing curtains, chewing on blinds, tearing stuff up, chewing through wires and cords, the list goes on and on.

Like my sister says,FER SHER. It's astounding,what huge complications 1 LITTLE critta can get into!!!!!!!! You put something out of their reach,and slap-dangit,they'll find a way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page