Building a better (crystal) litter box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Building a better (crystal) litter box

I'm a fan of the crystal cat litter but thought it was a little bit icky that the litter gradually turned from blue to green as the litter became more saturated. It grossed me out that my cats were digging in that nasty stuff so I found a way to make the litter last longer and stay MUCH more sanitary:

Here's what you need:

• A grate that is as close as possible to the size of the bottom of your litter box. I use a slightly elevated, coated aluminum cookie-cooling rack.
  • A pack of Puppy Piddle Pads
  • A sack of crystal litter

I line the litter box with a puppy piddle pad (folded to fit perfectly) then place the elevated grate on top of that. Then I dump the crystal litter on top and give it a gentle shake and tap to make sure the litter falls through the grate.

Make sure there's an inch or two of loose litter remaining on top of the grate so Kitty can satisfy her urge to dig and cover.

Now, when Kitty pees, the urine goes straight through the grate and into the trapped layer of litter where any excess is quickly absorbed. The piddle pad takes care of any overflow and doubles the life of the litter (since cats seem to pee in the same spot over and over again).

I scoop the poo every day but the urine saturated crystals are never disturbed so they don't mix with the cleaner crystals on top (where Kitty's feet are). I've been using this technique since last year and I'm getting up to five weeks of use out of one litter box with two cats.

It's made my life easier and my cat's feet much fresher!

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 AM
Tom Cat

Same principal as the wood pellets we use with a sifting tray.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotty cats View Post
Same principal as the wood pellets we use with a sifting tray.
Sigh...mine won't use wood pellets. Too sharp on their delicate pads, they say. Nor crystal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Seems like you could use this trick with any cat litter as long as you put the crystals between the piddle pad and the grate. That provides a super-absorbant under-layer for your regular litter.

I've been doing this for well over a year now and I can't imagine ever going back to the old ways.

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page