Watering/feeding strays? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Watering/feeding strays?

With it being hot out I have began to water the strays. Long story short my *old* neighbor was a cat hoarder. She was sent down to Florida and left all the cats alone. Over the years they have all spread out, A few stayed behind. That's how I got Fat Albert. One of her cats had a litter in a shed I have and around 9 weeks I got Fat Albert and his 2 other siblings. The other two were healthy fit ect.. So we took them to the vet and got them checked out. Fat Albert was not healthy. He was dehydrated, wormy,and sick looking. We found homes for his two brothers but kept him. He got the name Fat Albert as a "joke" but now it fits him,lol. Anyway once we got him I decided I am going to start feeding the strays. After six months we couldn't afford to feed them so my neighbor would throw her left overs over in there yard. Now 3 years later there are only 3 left. Since I now only have Fat Albert I decided to start feeding and watering them again(well I always left water for them). There is NO water source around us, right now(all dried up). So i leave an ice cream bucket filled with water and 3 cat food bowls filled up with food.

Does anyone else water/feed local strays?? if so what made/wanted you to help them out?? did anything "kick start" it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Jr. Cat

I feed a small colony of ferals in my apartment complex. I've hit some hard times financially lately and had to go a few weeks without food for them so I would put my leftovers out for them. I found out then that there is at least one other person in my building feeding them so I didn't feel absolutely horrible, but I did feel bad whenever they would meet me at my car and I had nothing to give them. My neighbor's grandson wound up buying a bag of cat food for them and giving it to me so I could start feeding them again.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Tom Cat

I fed ferals at my work last summer but it didn't have a happy ending. There are always one or two for some reason but you can't get close to them at all. Last summer there were kittens though, which is what made me start feeding them. We had just found Tiger Lily and I thought it would be great if I could tame the kittens and keep one as a companion for TL, but I never could make any progress with them. First mom kept moving them, then by the time they were moving around on their own, they already seemed feral and I could never get near them. My coworker ended up calling animal control when one turned up injured and the bad part is the mom ended up having rabies. I didn't ask about the kittens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Well, looks like I have another to feed(maybe 2). Momma cat(she is known for producing lots of kittens) brought one up on my porch last night. I might set a trap and try to catch the kitten. He/she looks the same age that Fat Albert was when I got him and now he is the tamest/laziest cat ever!! If I can catch him/her I will try to tame it, get it to the vet and re-home it. It is colored like a calico and VERY pretty. If it shows up again I will try and get a pic.

Oh and FLUFFY!! I love fluffy kitties.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Tom Cat

That's so nice of you to feed/water the strays.
Are you able to get them spayed/neutered so more cats/kittens don't keep showing up? There are low cost spay/neuter centers around. Alley Cat Rescue or Alley Cat Allies have lists of them.
I feed/water a cat colony in my condo complex. Around ten regularly dine at my restaurant (also known as the dumpster). I feed cheap canned and wet food, and I know the cats also dumpster dive. I feed my own cat, Ritz, raw, and the feral/stay cats in the colony get to eat her leftovers.
In 20 months, I've trapped/neutered-spayed/returned around 30 cats. There are a lot of evictions/foreclosures where I live, and sometimes when people move out, they leave their cats behind. So sad....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

If I trap momma I plan on getting her fixed. I am a minor though, without a real job so would have to wait till I get paid for baby sitting. She has around 2 litters every year and has had up to 5 in a litter. So if you take 5 times 2 that is ten cats then multiply that by 2 if her kittens have litters that is 20 more kittens!! That is a lot of cats.....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicesmom View Post
If I trap momma I plan on getting her fixed. I am a minor though, without a real job so would have to wait till I get paid for baby sitting. She has around 2 litters every year and has had up to 5 in a litter. So if you take 5 times 2 that is ten cats then multiply that by 2 if her kittens have litters that is 20 more kittens!! That is a lot of cats.....
If you talk to your vet or the local animal control, they will be able to help you find low cost or free neuter/spaying. Or a local cat rescue may be of some help.

My husband donates the cost of a spay to our local animal control for someone who can't afford it. I know one of the AC officers and she makes sure the money is used as intended.

Thank you for helping the cats.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Tom Cat

I have neighbors that TNR and feed the neighborhood cats. When we moved in, two of them appeared to be living under our garage. There was also a lot of cat poop in the garage (detached, more like a potting shed/workshop), as if cats had been kept in there without a litter box. Maybe whoever lived here before left these "neighborhood" cats behind. No one has mentioned that and I talk to one of my neighbors a lot who has been here 8 years, so who knows.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Cat Addict

I manage a colony of strays downstairs in the public garden. About 15 come to dine each night.

In summer I keep putting fresh water everyday but they don't drink it because they much prefer the cold, flowing water from all the A/C units pipes in the buildings around.

Apart from that, they're spoilt brats who hunger-strike on me if I don't bring them fresh meat for dinner, so I'm angry at them now. One of them has gums disease, so I feed her only meats with a little water in the blender. Three of them nowadays live in my apt. because they hated the street life. So you can imagine I do little with my life other than care for cats. It's an enormeous amount of work, money, responsibility, worry and fights with cat-hater neighbors.

I just had to purchase a Havahart trap for when one of the strays is sick, to take them to the vet. Due to the cat-haters, I can't provide any kind of shelter in winter, except hide a couple cushions and rags among the bushes. Luckily the winters here are very short, dry and mild.

I feed a high-quality kibble for strays (costs double the regular kinds for strays) as default, and constantly bring them meats I find at special offer prices here and there. Occasionally also very fat yoghurt, fat milk, raw canned and chicken-meat stock I make from the big ones of the bones and the attached meat remaining from chicken wings.

Shopping, carrying heavy bags, calculating prices and searching for special offers, trapping, vet appointments, watering, cutting meats, feeding, petting, brushing (the ones that let me touch), giving attention, teaching them to get along and not be afraid of each other and of me, washing dishes after meat meals, planning online food purchases and ordering and receiving the food, bargaining with retailers, not to count all the work with the 3 former strays living in my apt. which takes even more time than the strays, taking them down for a stroll each time they feel like, going downstairs to ask if they're ready to come back home every half hour, petting non-stop and cheek-scratching, separating them and reassuring them when they fight between them, playing with wands, and all that house cats entails and more because I'm very devoted, I hardly have time to go to the office and come back. It's good I eat in the office, because I don't have time to eat or prepare food for me at home.

Oh, and it's worth all the trouble. Just seeing them go from starved, suffering creatures to pampered, spoilt-rotten sweet kitties makes my life worth living.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.

Last edited by Straysmommy; 07-27-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: adding
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicesmom View Post
Dice go over to the feral section on Cat Forum. There are stickys at the top of the page you should read thru. Trap/Neuter/Return is a big grassroots movement to help feral cats.

I think you should google TNR or feral cat rescue or Trap neuter return and read up on it. See if there are any TNR groups in your town or near by. I know my group would love to have a teenager help us with trapping. We raise money to cover the spays, neuters, vaccinations and medical care which ferals need.

If you don't have money for cat food, I know my TNR group provides cat food for care takers of colonies. We are grateful for them caring for the colonies and keeping an eye on the cats. Maybe a local group would help you out. Also Food Banks give away cat and dog food. They even accept open bags donated from the public where I live. A lot of larger cities have Pet Pantries for those struggling to feed their pets and colonies.

Check with local shelters in your area to see if they have TNR programs and low cost s/n. Sometimes they get grants and do it for free for awhile.

There are ways to trap cats and get them TNRed. People in the feral section would be glad to help you with information. Its a good thing your doing feeding stray, abandoned, semi feral and feral cats. They are the most over look animals in the rescue movement today. They have hard lives.

Im sure if you connected with a group they could keep you busy and youd find great connections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page