Thick hair patches - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thick hair patches

My cat has started to get a few thick hair patches near the end of her body near the base of the tail. I brush her a couple of times a week but can't seem to get them out. It seems like the hairs are stuck together, almost glued in a sense. Any ideas how to get them out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Cool Cat

Sounds like matting to me. In the future, you probably have to brush her every other day or every day, paying careful attention to the back end. The ones that are already there now can either be combed/brushed out (unpleasant) or just cut off.

Can I ask how big your cat is? Overweight cats have a really hard time grooming themselves in that area (can't reach) and are prone to matting there because of the build up of dirt and oils. This same problem can happen with older cats if arthritis reduces their mobility.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Cool Cat

I had that problem with Missy when I adopted her. She is a big cat and older. I used a sharp pair of scissors and cut across the patches about halfway down. Then using a wire brush I bought at the pet store (About $6.00) I brushed the base out while I kept my hand under the matt. It was a bit patchy for a while, but the hair grew out again.

She is prone to getting these matts again and I use the wire brush several times a week. I get plenty of hair that has to be combed out of the brush. I also comb using an ordinary hair comb. Sometimes the brush sticks a bit and then I go slow while holding her so that the brush doesn't tend to pull her backward. At first she tended to be a bit alarmed, but now she seems to understand what it's for and noses the brush when it's on the table like she's asking me to use it.

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

At this point, since you aren't familiar with dealing with matts (they're a pain), I would take her to a groomer and stay and watch her take care of them and see how she combs out your cat. I learned a lot from my girls' groomer. Also she can suggest the best brush and/or comb for your cat's type of fur.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Banned

Sounds like she might be overgrooming. That's a stress reaction. The "glued together" part is what makes me think that--I had a cat once who did that and that was the effect. If this is the case, the key is to reduce any stressful situations. Playing with her more might help, as might Feliway. Anything new in the house? New critters or people? A move?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

She has definitely been stressed. She's been confined to a room for the last year. She is free to wander around the house but rarely gets far. Another one of our cats has become hostile with her and she won't stand her ground.

She isn't a large cat, but I must admit I can't weigh her. She is extremely scared of people. I've had her since 2004 and it still takes forever to gain her trust just to brush her. She doesn't let anyone pick her up. Not without suffering the consequences that is.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Banned

I would guess overgrooming then. Poor girl!

Can you not confine the hostile cat instead? Perhaps that would work better! If this girl gets along with the others, she might be happier back with the "pack."
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

I see from the pic that she eats kibble. Switching to grain-free canned (Evo 95% meat or Wellness CORE) might help clear up the problem if it's allergic in nature. Try one formula (with one single meat) for a month and see if it clears up. If not, switch to a different meat formula.

Going raw would be the best plan, as even cats who are allergic to cooked beef or chicken are rarely allergic to it raw, but if you can't do that try canned. Often it's the unneeded plant foods in kibble (corn, etc.) that cause problems.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Cool Cat

It's hard to tell, but she looks pretty overweight to me. Unsurprising if she's been confined - probably eating out of boredom. A wet diet (without free-feeding) would help her weight too.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

She is actually quite small compared to our other cats. She has a fat sack though, which shes had since we got her, which makes her look fat.

I regulate her diet very well. She only gets a half cup of Iams each day and most of the time there is still food left when I go to fill it up again.

I'll try and get a better photo with her next to something in comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page