The stray kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

The stray kitten

I can not catch it at all!I have even used raw chicken in the trap and it will go just enough to not trigger the trap but get the meat! I also put water in there but it doesn't touch it. I think if I do catch it, it will be a smart kitten and easy to litter box train. I used to have a DLH that was marked like a black and white cow that was as smart as he seems. I taught her how to sit and had her litter box trained in just a few days.

I have caught Fat Albert though,lol. I had him outside with me when I took the dogs out and heard the trap snap shut.
I go around the corner and see him chowing down,lol. I let him out and put him back inside. Re-set the trap and put it in a different place. With it being so hot I think it just doesn't want to eat. I will keep trying though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Saw them up on the porch tonight(were I set the trap). Momma cat went in and got the meatloaf I put in there and reached in quickly got the meat loaf and came running back out!!! So her and her kitten ate the meat loaf without capture. This is REALLY starting to bug me that I haven't been able to trap them.

Oh and Albert keeps meowing at the dang door!! Could momma cat be coming back into heat or is that not possible?? The kitten looks 10ish weeks old. I only have seen this kitten also. So I am guessing the others sadly passed away(there was a family of foxes living in the same area as them). My dogs are also pacing at the dang door when they come onto the porch. I think they are enjoying taunting my animals,lol.

Last edited by Dicesmom; 07-24-2012 at 02:14 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Premier Cat

Good luck catching the sly little kitten. Will you be getting to Momma cat spayed if you can catch her? She most definitely can be coming back into heat!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Cat Addict

The mother cat we had recently came back into heat before we re-homed the kittens and they were still suckling. It's not unusual, unfortunately.

Have you thought that maybe they ae too light to trigger the trap?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

If I can catch mom and find a cheap place to get her fixed,I will. I don't think they are too light. I caught an possum in it last night and my uncle catches squirrels in it all the time.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:42 AM
Cat Addict

Poor kitty doesn't know what a wonderful future awaits her if she lets herself get trapped. I hope that as she gets to know you better, she'll let down her guard enough to get caught. Remember, starving her for 2 days (not more) is a great help.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Premier Cat

could you send a picture of this kitten? Do not take away the kitten if it is 4 weeks or under. You can set the lever to be more sensitive on hav a heart traps. Do you have an appointment set up to get the mother spayed. You dont want to leave her in that trap long. Small kittens cant be out there alone. Get the kitten first or get mom and butt second trap do it up touches at the top so the kitten will go in trying to get to the mom. A kitten can get pregnant by 6 months of age.

Wire a trap open and start feeding her in the doorway of the trap and slowly move the food back so she gets comfortable in the trap. Make sure the trap is covered with a big towel or sheet. except for the opening. Once you have an appointment then set the trap and get the mom and kitten.

The best thing you can do is try to find a shelter with a Tnr program or a tnr group in your area. Its so much easier working with others as a group effort.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Tom Cat

Try putting canned cat food in the trap. They would have to stay in there longer to eat it, as opposed to just grabbing the food and running off with it. Kind of like putting peanut butter on a mouse trap instead of cheese. I would call around ahead of time and find out what vet will spay the mom affordably and let them know your situation, that you're trying to catch her. Good luck. Are your parents on board or are you going to try and convince them after you catch her? I would try to get in touch with a TNR group in the area first. Have a plan before you catch her.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Before I can turn my camera on the run and I can't get a pic She is wll over 4 weeks(probably around 13 now). They took off again for a few days so I think someone else may be feeding them.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Jr. Cat

Whenever I was doing TNR I used tuna in oil. It was suggested to me by local rescues that I was working with and getting financial assistance from. I never had a problem catching them. They just couldn't resist the smell of the tuna, lol!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page