some neighbor - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

some neighbor

saw this article..I guess some neighbors are not pet friendly. Who traps neighborhood cats and dumps them at shelter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 AM
Tom Cat

Someone who's fed up with someone else's pet roaming free and onto their property. quite understandable really, though in this case apparently as accident as they were trapping for strays. Perhaps the cats owner should keep him on her own property, indoors or in a cat proof backyard and it won't be an issue.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

I agree. There's a man on our block who has many cats. He even has two houses that only cats live in. He leaves food out in the alley every day and night, so he's basically feeding cats, raccoons, skunks, etc. Two of his cats live in my yard and it's their personal litter box. Well, it's actually the litter box for several cats. I walk up to my porch at night and that's the lovely smell that greets me.

I can actually pet one of the cats and I would turn her in to the local shelter, but she would probably be put down. Although I'm not sure which is worse, living outside with no human contact, starved for attention, or being put to sleep.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Cool Cat

There are cat traps all over my city in out-of-the-way public places. Animals services goes around and picks up the cats every day or two. Cheshire cat wandered into one once when he was still rarely escaping the yard. They gave us a call, because he was licensed, and actually drove him home in their air conditioned van. That's how I learned about the city traps.

Cats aren't allowed to be 'at large' here. If they're licensed, they get to go home (and their owners get a talking to) like Cheshire Cat. If not, they go to the shelter where the owners have to pay to get them out + fines for not having a liscence, OR they get adopted to a family who will care about them more.

I guess that's a little OT, sorry. But if this women had some ID on her cat it wouldn't have been treated as a stray, and probably wouldn't have had to pay $300.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Premier Cat

Agreed. If it's yours collar it, chip it, and license it so it can find it's way home. Better it be caught in a trap and turned in than get run over by cars, eaten by wildlife, attacked by dogs, or hurt by terrible humans.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Jr. Cat

poor kitty!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Tom Cat

I'm confused. Are some of the posters here advocating trapping and turning in ALL cats on the street, including ferals and strays? Or just those "pet" cats that are allowed to roam at will?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Banned

Any cat running free in my neighborhood with out collar and tag or microchip is a STRAY as far as I'm concerned. I can keep it or take it to a shelter. Either way it's better off!

Keep cats safely indoors. They will live longer and they won't bother the neighbors!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

The cats that live in my front yard have always been outside cats, homeless cats. The black one that used to live there got hit and killed by a car a few weeks ago.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
I'm confused. Are some of the posters here advocating trapping and turning in ALL cats on the street, including ferals and strays? Or just those "pet" cats that are allowed to roam at will?
Well, I think it depends where you live and the other circumstances. I could see maybe not having that attitude if you're in a high kill area like NY, or in a neighbourhood with a lot of neighbourhood pets wandering around.

Sorry I keep talking about my city like it's El Dorado, but there are 4 "city-sanctioned" feral colonies that I know of. Animal services doesn't trap the cats around there, because they know the rescue groups are feeding and TNR'ing them. These are "allowed ferals", and I know that city does make revenue on them by selling "family units" of these cats for rural people to stock their barns with.

If I had unlimited means and lived in the right kind of area, I think I would set out a trap. Maybe not turn them in, but I would trap ALL kitties on my property, and bring them in for vet care. If they have a house, maybe I'd put a little note on them to say "Don't let me roam!" - if they didn't, one less intact kitty wandering around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page