No Kill shelthers for cats is the goal. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

No Kill shelthers for cats is the goal.

Please join in your heart to make sure no animals are left in shelters to be euthanized aka killed. 75% of cats which enter shelters never get back out.
We can change that!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Banned

How?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Gosh haven't you and I had this discourse before. ( along with my horrible punctuation and spelling and your perfect smarmy writing!)

This can get you started if you really want to know, Hugh.

To become an effective No Kill Advocate you should arm yourself with the following information.

I really think if you do just the first one you'd grasp it is possible and happening. You are thoughtful and intelligent. this book would speak to you.
1. REDEMPTION... Read the book Redemption: "The Myth of Pet Overpopulation and the No Kill Revolution in America" by Nathan Winograd.

Order Redemption...

Order Redemption for your E book or PC...

Read Redemption in a "Cliff Notes" like version NOW...

http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/...cliffnotes.pdf

2. STRAYED...Until you can get your hands on a copy of Redemption please watch the following excellent video by Mike Fry and Beth Nelson.

3. NO KILL 101...The No Kill 101 Primer addresses public health/safety and cost issues, as well as the excuse of "pet overpopulation" and the myth that open admission shelters cannot be No Kill. We encourage you to use it to educate shelter directors, city council members, the media, and others in your community that No Kill is a humane, effective, sustainable, cost-effective model that works hand in hand with public health and safety, while fulfilling a fiscal responsibility to taxpayers.

http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/.../nokill101.pdf

4. DOLLARS & CENTS... The Economic Benefits of No Kill Animal Control...A Guide for Public Officials...

http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/...onbenefits.pdf

5. NO KILL EQUATION.. The only set of life saving shelter policies that have ever resulted in a no kill community.

No Kill Advocacy Center | No Kill Equation

6. Nathan Winograd, founder of the No Kill Advocacy Center, describes the programs and services generally referred to as the No Kill Equation. What does it take to end the killing of healthy and treatable animals in shelters? Find out my watching this webinar.

7. I WAS THERE... One volunteers view of a shelters transition to no kill... by Valerie Hayes

I was there: one volunteer's view of a shelter's transition to No Kill - Atlanta animal welfare | Examiner.com

8. WISH YOU WERE HERE by Jennifer Winograd...

Wish You Were Here : Nathan J Winograd

9. CAN YOU NEUTER YOUR WAY OUT OF KILLING?...

Can You Neuter Your Way Out of Killing? : Nathan J Winograd

10. The No Kill Revolution Starts with You by Ryan Clinton

The No Kill Revolution Starts with YOU : Nathan J Winograd

11. SPEAK THE TRUTH WITH BOLDNESS... Anne Stark in Frostburg, Maryland speaking to her local government about the no kill philosophy. Great job Anne!

12. DEBUNKING PET OVERPOPULATION...

Debunking Pet Overpopulation : Nathan J Winograd

13. PET OVERPOPULATION MYTH... by Mike Fry.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-39559-Minneapolis-Pets-Examiner~y2010m3d10-Pet-Overpopulation-Meme-Zeitgeist-and-Myth

14. THE DARK SIDE OF MANDATORY LICENSING AND NEUTER LAWS...

http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/...datorylaws.pdf

15. MANDATORY SPAY NEUTER SACRIFICING ANIMAL LIVES TO IDEOLOGY...

Dogged Blog: Mandatory spay/neuter: Sacrificing animal lives to ideology

16. AVMA: SAYS MANDATORY SPAY/NEUTER A BAD IDEA

AVMA: Mandatory spay/neuter a bad idea

17. FixAustin.org Joins the National Consensus against Mandatory Spay Neuter Laws...

The FixAustin.Org Blog: Why We Join the National Consensus Against Mandatory Spay/Neuter Laws

18. IF RENO NEVADA CAN BE A NO KILL COMMUNITY THEN NO OTHER COMMUNITY HAS AN EXCUSE...

Reno Leads the Pack : Nathan J Winograd

19. REFORMING ANIMAL CONTROL...

http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/...%20Control.pdf

20. REFORMING ANIMAL CONTROL... A dynamic presentation by Ryan Clinton from Fix Austin. Clinton will share tips for moving your local animal control to the no kill model, whether or not they are on board with your effort. Lear how Fix Austin transformed their city from a high-kill methodology to one that embraced the No Kill Equation, and learn what you can do in your community to achieve similar results.

21. COMPANION ANIMAL PROTECTION ACT...

No Kill Advocacy Center | Companion Animal Protection Act

22. SECTION 1983 TO THE RESCUE...

Section 1983 to the Rescue : Nathan J Winograd

23. THE REAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE NO-KILL MOVEMENT AND THE TRADITIONAL SHELTERING MODEL is that the no-kill movement is based on the belief that people are the solution to the death of animals in shelters, while traditional sheltering is based on the belief that people are the cause of the problem. By Cristie Keith

Home Page - Vetstreet

24. ARE YOU ENABLING THE NEEDLES KILLING OF SHELTER PETS..."Our battle for a No Kill nation is not against the public. It is against the cowards of our movement who refuse to stand up to their colleagues and friends running shelters that are mired in the failed and defunct philosophies that allow (indeed, cause) killing."

Are You Enabling the Needless Killing of Shelter Pets? YesBiscuit!

25. THE BANALITY OF EVIL by Nathan Winograd

"For all the talk of paradigm shifts, infrastructure improvements, the programs and services of the No Kill Equation, we are, in the end, fighting against individual people who hold the power over life and death. These are people who have proven that they are not equal to the task before them. People who do not give us, and the animals, what we have a right to expect. In short, they are people who must be called to account no matter how “nice” they seem when you meet them."

The Banality of Evil : Nathan J Winograd

26. SIGN THE NO KILL DECLARATION:

Declaration of the No Kill Movement in the United States

27. DOES THE ROAD TO NO KILL LEAD THROUGH ASILOMAR?

A No Kill perspective on the Asilomar Accords

http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/...itionpaper.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Cool Cat

I used to be a big proponent of no-kill shelters, but I've changed my mind a little bit lately. Euthanasia isn't a bad thing when an animal is suffering. Even on these forums every few days we see people struggling with a sick pet, with the costs of vet bills, medication, or home care. I don't think it's fair to make an animal suffer through that kind of treatment when their quality of life inside a shelter is already so low.

My city's shelter has never been at capacity since it was rebuilt a few years ago, and at that time they stopped euthanizing to "make space" completely. Their euthanization rate is still about 12% per year.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Jacq if you read the Redemption book, it does not condone keeping an animal alive for the sake of a quota. It demands quality vet care for shelter animals. Its not a game of numbers if you read the material.

I used to volunteer at a shelter that to this day is warehousing cats and not giving them proper medical care. I quit working with them. I feel very strongly about this matter.

My little TNR group has paid for surgeries for cats in medical need from day one. Even cats which are companion animals of people in our community but they do not have the funds to get help, we've paid the bills. that is part of what no kill means.

There are legitimate reason to take an animals life, euthanize, help an animal transition. No Kill proponents understand this. What makes me sick is killing perfectly health cats and dogs every single day. Today 10,000 cats and dogs will be killed in shelters in the US. That is just plain wrong.

The cat rescues here are pulling cats out of Pima Animal Care Center (animal control for Tucson) as fast as they can. They give you 3-5 days to find your animal with them, otherwise they are killed. They are killing mothers and babies right now with kitten season.

My goal is for this to become a thing of the past. I know it can happen.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Cool Cat

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Good things are happening in Calgary! I noticed you have to license cats also. I tried to read more about the cats regulations in your city but it wanted me to accept some software approval and I didnt feel comfortable doing that. Im impressed with what Ive read so far.

Thanks for the link.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Cool Cat

Ah sorry, there are some weird software requirements for the city website (I think I accepted them ages ago so I could book golf time lol). This is a good page, if it will let you open it: The City of Calgary - Responsible cat ownership

I think the biggest thing the program did with the licensing is to make sure all revenue raised by licences and fines goes back into the program. The revenue makes it not just self-sustaining, but allows it to expand and become better, and people feel good about it because people without pets aren't "wasting money" and people with pets are happy to pay $30 a year to know their pets aren't getting put down or run over.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
I used to be a big proponent of no-kill shelters, but I've changed my mind a little bit lately. Euthanasia isn't a bad thing when an animal is suffering. Even on these forums every few days we see people struggling with a sick pet, with the costs of vet bills, medication, or home care. I don't think it's fair to make an animal suffer through that kind of treatment when their quality of life inside a shelter is already so low.

My city's shelter has never been at capacity since it was rebuilt a few years ago, and at that time they stopped euthanizing to "make space" completely. Their euthanization rate is still about 12% per year.
I agree, if we didn't put down any strays, the whole world would be cats. Some cats just can't be helped.

Socks and Hillary, you will always be in my heart
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
The City of Calgary - Responsible cat ownership

I think the biggest thing the program did with the licensing is to make sure all revenue raised by licences and fines goes back into the program. The revenue makes it not just self-sustaining, but allows it to expand and become better, and people feel good about it because people without pets aren't "wasting money" and people with pets are happy to pay $30 a year to know their pets aren't getting put down or run over.
I agree.

Thanks! They even ask their cat owners to brush their cats teeth! Right on!
Seriously though, the encouragement of microchipping is huge!
Your city has it together.

They should be a model for Tucson!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page