Cat Survives Fire in St Louis - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Cat Survives Fire in St Louis

Video: Cat Rescued from Fire

An apartment fire in St. Louis took the lives of many pets, but for Dr. Elizabeth Schmidt, relief came four days later when her rescued, one-eyed cat named Satin was reunited with her thanks to the Humane Society of Missouri.
The fire broke out Tuesday night at the four-story, 197-unit apartment complex on Lindell Boulevard in the city’s Central West End. No residents were injured but two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion. The cause of the fire has not been determined. The building has been deemed a total loss. [source]
Schmidt was coming home from dinner with friend last Tuesday night when she saw the fire. Many animals, particularly cats, were trapped inside the building and unfortunately many did not make it, some are still missing. A memorial outside the building told the sad tale of the unlucky ones.
Standing outside the charred building, waiting for news of her pet as rescue workers searched the remains of the building, Schmidt stated, "She's pretty scrappy, so...I'm hoping she's just looking for food."

Saturday, she was at the Humane Society, joking about how her brother survived Hurricane Katrina and had come up to help her. "The Schmidt family has a propensity for disaster," she said.
When the news cameras moved off of her, she turned to see a worker carrying a small cat carrier. Inside was her black cat, Satin. Schmidt let out a squeal of excitement. "Ohhh my lovebug, my angel!" Cuddling her cat, she stated, "you don't smell very smokey."
Later in the interview, Schmidt told news reporters, "she was an abused and neglected animal. She's a special needs cat, so she's been through a lot already in life."
To Schmidt, Satin is more than just a pet. "She's everything," said Schmidt. "She’s the reason why I am a doctor. I couldn’t have made it through residency without her.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Jr. Cat

poor kitty

Socks and Hillary, you will always be in my heart
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Cool Cat

D'awwwwww I've got me some warm fuzzies.

Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page