My house is too quiet now - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

My house is too quiet now

From going from four cats to one it is odd. It's just way to quiet. I have 3 dogs, a ferret and Fat Albert all in the house but it's just quiet. Every morning it would be 8 animals under my feet all running to their food bowls and it was crazy,lol. Fat Albert is really social when it comes to me but he is super lazy. Usually I would have a cat chasing a ferret a dog chasing the cat then somehow it ends up the ferret chasing the cat and the cat chasing the dog,lol. Fat Albert was always the one to sit and watch. Koda the ferret even looks sad but he still has the dogs and me. Its so weird. Has anyone else felt like there house was way to empty after loosing a pet(not just a cat) even though you have more animals?

Last edited by marie73; 07-29-2012 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Premier Cat

Oh yes, I know your emptiness all too well. Last summer I started out with 6 cats and 2 cocker spaniels. There was always someone (usually a dog) on my lap and under my feet. Unfortunately within a months time I lost both dogs. The house seemed so empty. I kept thinking I needed to get up to let the dogs out/ in.

Our cats used to hang out in the periphery when the dogs were alive. Gradually we noticed a shift where they starting ha ging out with us and now, a year later, it is not unusual to have all 6 cats in the living room with us just happily lounging around. It is definitely a different life than what we had, but in some ways it has gotten better.

I still miss my boys terribly, but it gets better when I see Gracie sprawled on the couch in between my husband and I, something that would never never happened before.

I hope your heart feels even a little better soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Cool Cat

losing even 1 animal leaves that empty feeling i think. we were only a 1 kitty household for a little while, but when her spirit moved on, the house felt IMMEDIATELY empty. my husband and i could not face even 24 hours "alone". we went to the shelter the very next day and met Angel who needed us just as much as we needed her. we can't imagine life without her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Cat Addict

I've experienced this a few times. You may have several animals but there is a kind of balance that has been disturbed. I believe that sometimes other animals that need you are already calling to you.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I've thought about adding another cat. But Fat Albert just doesn't like other cats/kittens. There are a few he gets along with. He actually gets along with the stray I am trying to catch so if I can she will be the new member. Plus, my mom isn't to keen on the idea of getting another cat
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Tom Cat

Yep, I used to have 4 dogs and 3 cats here, but since the first of the year my husband moved out taking two of the dogs with him, and a couple months later my 17 y/o cat Pookie passed. Actually I admit having two of the dogs gone (and yet still knowing they were in good hands) was a relief, one of the ones he took was bad with the cats, so I immediately felt a harmony that hadn't been there before. When Pookie died though I felt like I had a vacancy to fill and I started looking right away. People thought I was nuts, but Zoey has been a great fit and I feel so lucky to have the crew I have now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page