Trying to cut back - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Trying to cut back

On litter boxes.

I have two for three girls. No problem. Some days they only use one or the other. In my new place, I HATE HATE HATE where one of the boxes is located. It's by the back door, off the kitchen, next to the washer and dryer and by the pantry. The litter gets scattered on the mats, and then gets tracked on the tile floor in the kitchen. Plus, when I want to go to the pantry or use the washer/dryer, I'm stepping on scattered litter. And to go out the back door, I have to step over the (covered) litter box.

So........I emptied it, washed it and put it away. We now have ONE litter box which I scoop three times a day. It's been almost a week and it's WONDERFUL!!!! My washer/dryer/pantry area is clean and my kitchen floor is litter-free. I've always thought the "1 litter box per cat +1" was unnecessary for everyone, and I've never even had one per cat. I do realize I've been fortunate. My vet says for each cat, there's a 20% chance of them having a UTI or other problem at least once in their lifetime. So with 4 cats, I had an 80% chance of them having problems.

If someone pees or poops out of the box, they won't be in trouble, I'll put the extra box back. But so far, it's great.

This is the one we have:

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Cat

Enjoy! Hope it continues to go well.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Senior Cat

I have two boxes for three cats as well. They too all use one more then the other but it varies daily. I have one upstairs in their room(I made the cats their own room until we figure out what to do with it) and one in the basement(it's finished). They play a lot in the basement but I really don't want it there because it's in the way and stinks. Usually they spend the whole night upstairs so they use that one and in the day they play in the basement so that ones full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Marie! A few points. First, that's wonderful! I suspect the one-per-cat-plus-one rule applies if you only plan to scoop once a day and/or there's a possibility you might have a cat that wants to poop in one box and pee in another. If your cats are happy to pee/poop in the same box AND you scoop several times a day, then I don't see why this won't work.

Second, I have the same litter box as in your picture. I keep it in my ensuite bathroom and I love it!

Finally, statistics are my specialty, so I couldn't let the following quote go by without commenting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
My vet says for each cat, there's a 20% chance of them having a UTI or other problem at least once in their lifetime. So with 4 cats, I had an 80% chance of them having problems.
If we accept your vet's comment about the 20% chance, then you actually don't have an 80% chance of them having problems, because probabilities are not additive. You'll be pleased to hear you only have a 59% chance of at least one of them having a problem and a 41% chance of no problems whatsoever...for whatever that is worth. So, you're better off than you think!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Cat Addict

I have 3 for three but the one in the hall leading to my bedroom is strongly preffered. It's definitely a marking thing. I hear some pretty aggressive litter digging and tossing at night when Fay won't let Mr B in the bedroom. . Any time I change any litter Mr B must be the first one to christen it. He'll even jump in and water an empty box after I put it down but before I can put the litter in.

Another thing my Vet taught me is less litter. If it's well below the sides it doesn't get kicked out.

Wait, I thought creative people pooped outside the box.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned

If all 3 cats get along really well this can certainly work! As long as the box is kept clean, as we know yours is, no reason why it won't work.

I have 3 LBs for 4 cats b/c I've never had a situation where ALL my cats got along so well that I wasn't concerned about kitties getting ambushed on the box, etc. As long as there are plenty of boxes, I figure no one can say, "There was no place else to GO, mom!!" when Jonah bugs them on box #1.

That said, since adding #3 when the barn cats moved into the house, I've noticed that #1 (closet box) gets used a little less than before, #2 (DIY dogproof box that lives in a Rubbermaid trunk) hardly gets used at all, and #3 (in the new cat room) gets used the most. If this continues I MIGHT think about discontinuing #2. We'll see.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
If we accept your vet's comment about the 20% chance, then you actually don't have an 80% chance of them having problems, because probabilities are not additive. You'll be pleased to hear you only have a 59% chance of at least one of them having a problem and a 41% chance of no problems whatsoever...for whatever that is worth. So, you're better off than you think!
Also, bear in mind that since most cats these days are kibble-fed, that's the main reason for that 20%. Canned/rawfed cats just aren't anywhere near as likely to have UTIs so the % chance should drop significantly for Marie!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Tom Cat

You could always switch to a non tracking litter, but if your happy and the cats are happy that's all that matters.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Premier Cat

Ive never believed that rule. I dont buy into that theory.

I scoop my boxes min. of twice a day. But Ive had 16 cats / kittens and 3 boxes. Worked just fine. But.... I was always cleaning them. They were on the screened porch.

That is interesting about the odds Susan! Thanks for sharing!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Premier Cat

Well, dealing once again with the odds, I have now finally woken up and realized that Marie no longer has four cats. She only has three...unless there's something you're not telling us, Marie...

So, your odds have now fallen to a 48.8% chance of something going wrong and a 51.2% chance of no problem! And, since they're fed wet food, they aren't free fed, they live in a clean environment with limited stress, and they're all girls, your odds are better still. Of course, I can't say how the Bailey's might impact all of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page