Catnip? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Catnip?

I bought my 17 week kitten some new toys this morning, but when I got home and looked at them all they all have catnip in them. I've never heard of catnip before so I searched online and got different opinions on it, but what I didn't see if it was safe to give a kitten something with catnip in it. Is it safe or should I wait until he's a little older?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Cat

As far as I know catnip is safe for kittens. My cats all love catnip and get "high" after I spread it on the scratcher board.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Premier Cat

It's perfectly safe, although most kittens don't have any reaction to catnip...that usually starts when they're older, although some cats never have any reaction. My Muffs loves catnip, but it has no effect on Abby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Cat

Joy is 4 months old, we have not exposed her to catnip yet.....when do you think we should introduce her to the wonder-plant?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Premier Cat

Ragdoll Joy: You could try anytime. I don't think there's any sort of "typical" age when cats magically become affected. As I recall, Muffs was only around 6 months old when she reacted positively to it. I imagine some cats might react earlier and some later.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Cat

Thanks Susan! Always look forward to hearing from a fellow ragdoll owner! Muffs is a beautiful looking cat
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Tried my kitten with his new toy. We first thought he was cuddling the little bear but he went into a full attack and fought with it for about five minutes and then went back to playing with a pair of my rolled up bed socks. Guess he wasn't that interested in catnip.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolacola View Post
Tried my kitten with his new toy. We first thought he was cuddling the little bear but he went into a full attack and fought with it for about five minutes and then went back to playing with a pair of my rolled up bed socks. Guess he wasn't that interested in catnip.
Hi lolacola,

Cats get desensitised to catnip after about 10 minutes of playing with it, then they usually go back to it a few hours later... They do say that if you offer it too often they can become desensitised completely but I don't know how true that is.

I put mine around the scratching post, and he goes crazy for about 10 minutes and then has a nap... ha ha :]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

I avoid actual toys w/ catnip b/c they just get desensitized, as Lynxy said. Instead, I invest in very high quality leaf catnip and throw "catnip parties" a few times a month--sprinkling it on the floor so the cats can roll in it, eat it, and revel in it. When they're done I sweep it up.

If you have more than one kitty, make sure there is catnip in multiple locations, spread out, and keep an eye on things. I had one cat, Loki, who was just a mean drunk! He loved catnip, but I locked him in a room when I handed it out b/c otherwise he beat up his sisters.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty-The-Cat View Post
According to what I read, cats don't usually respond to catnip until they're around 8-9 months of age. Furthermore, not all cats respond to catnip, about 1/3 of them don't. It's a genetic thing.
Yeah, he threw it around for about five minutes and walked away from it. He hasn't went near it since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page