domestic long hair? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat

domestic long hair?

Hello!
I have two kittens, 4 months and 3 months. One is domestic long hair I think... The other has shorter hair but I was wondering if he is considered medium. What is the difference between long and medium? Here is a picture of them both. Is the black and white cat medium or short hair?52781775901_1588525431_n.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by crazyismycat; 08-06-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Cool Cat

The kitty in the front will be a short-haired one. You can tell if a kitty will be a long hair or not by it's ear turf.

In cat fancy world there is no such term as "medium hair". A cat is in either long hair group or short hair group. When we add medium hair in casual occasions, the ONLY long haired cats are persians (and himmies). All other long haired cats are medium hair. Hope I'm not confusing you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yingying; 08-07-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingying View Post
the ONLY long haired cats are persians (and himmies). All other long haired cats are medium hair.
I wish you could have seen my first cat Rookie's stomach hair almost reaching the ground! I don't think anyone would have called her a medium hair.

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
I wish you could have seen my first cat Rookie's stomach hair almost reaching the ground! I don't think anyone would have called her a medium hair.
Rookie is pretty, and very fluffy, but I think her hair is about the same length as my Meatball. And you should meet my (passed) RomRom, a Persian. His hair is reaaaaaally long... Not only tummy, everywhere. It's a pain to groom him. My aunt was a Persian breeder so I met lots of Persians. I have to say, no cat can compete with Persians in the department of hair length

Here are some long haired Persians. But I think they are trimmed. My aunt's breeding kings have hair a lot longer than that.
Breed-persian-solid

PS: My Metoo also has very long tummy hair, almost touching ground. Her hair on other part of body are not as long as Meatball though. I have to trim her tummy hair from time to time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yingying; 08-07-2012 at 09:16 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Premier Cat

Dealing with that long hair can be a pain, that's for sure. I brushed Rookie (RIP) every day, but she always ended up with big mats under her armpit area and on the back of her legs. I got her shaved with a lion cut a couple times, which involved sedation, which involved not feeding her after midnight the previous night . . . which of course, isn't easy for a cat-mom to withhold food and water.

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat

So my longer haired kitten has furr in her ears. Is she a long hair?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Premier Cat

They all have some fur in their ears; it's just a matter of how long it is. If you look at Murphy in my signature, you can see it . . . but he's a short-hair, and the ear fur isn't very long.

Holly and Murphy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
So my longer haired kitten has furr in her ears. Is she a long hair?
As mentioned above, cats all have ear turf (except Sphynx the hairless cats). What matters is the length. Your younger kitty's ear turf is a lot shorter than the medium hair one.

PS: I always wonder, since ear turf's function is to prevent foreign matters getting into the ear, does that mean ears of short hair cats are easier to get dirty than long hair ones?

Quote:
Dealing with that long hair can be a pain, that's for sure.
It is too much pain to brush a Persian. Not only the hair is long, it also tends to matt. For this reason alone I always discourage ppl getting a Persian. Their fur is pretty but not worth the amount of work IMO :/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page