My fosters went to their forever homes today - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

My fosters went to their forever homes today

I found homes for 3 out of my 4 foster kittens. This is my first time fostering so it was a little hard to see them go I found great homes for them, so that definately makes it a little easier.

I still have Honey, the little dilute calico. She is very people shy and just doesnt like to be cuddled like her siblings did. She does do really well with other cats though so I am going to try to find a home for her with another young cat.

I didnt plan on fostering again, but since I have the space now I just couldnt leave the shelter empty handed. So I brought home a cat who came into the shelter pregnant and was spayed. She cought a URI and had a very high temperature so she just needed to get out of the shelter so she can get better. She is sooo sweet. She is all purrs and headbutts, even though she can't breathe out of her nose. I will post a pick of her when I get a chance. She is buff tabby with beautiful copper-colored eyes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Cat

I hope Honey finds her forever home soon.

Do you still have their foster mom, Minnie??? How is she doing???
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCARSMOM View Post
I hope Honey finds her forever home soon.

Do you still have their foster mom, Minnie??? How is she doing???
Yes, she's doing good! She still isnt very fond of Banjo, so I have her in my bedroom and Banjo has the run of the rest of the apartment. I let honey go in and out as she pleases, as Honey and Banjo get along fine. Minnie will tolerate Banjo and doesnt freak out when she sees him or anything, but she still does (and probably always will have) a bit of a wild side. He just wants to tackle and play with everyone he meets so for his own safety I am taking their introductions very slowly to say the least. Now my new foster is in the bathroom and I have a very full house! lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Cat

Sounds like they are keeping you busy! I'm so glad Minnie and Banjo are doing well - hope their slooooowwww intro ends in both finding a new friend.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks for the kind words Oscarsmom!

Here is a pic of my new foster, Lorna she is so sweet <3

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Premier Cat

Wow, great news! How did the pairings go when you adopted out the other siblings? I know there was an issue about an odd number of kittens versus the one(s) you might keep. How did you find the homes for the others?

Lorna.......

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Wow, great news! How did the pairings go when you adopted out the other siblings? I know there was an issue about an odd number of kittens versus the one(s) you might keep. How did you find the homes for the others?

Lorna.......
I actually put an ad out on craigslist. I was very unsure of how it would go, and it took about a month before I found the adopters but my patience paid off!

In my craigslist ad, I asked for people who are interested to reply and tell me a little bit about themselves and why they want to adopt a kitten. Right away that filters out about half of the responses because they dont tell me why they want them or they say its a gift for someone, or they want them because they have a mouse problem, etc.

If they give me a good respose, then I tell them to call me and i do a little interview of sorts. I ask them about inside vs. outside, declawing, past and current pets, etc. I turned 2 potential adopters away that got to this point. One said she was going to declaw and another said she got rid of her previous cat because he was a male and he sprayed(even though he wasnt fixed) and so she wanted a female (grrrr)

The adopters I found are a woman and her son. They were both ready to adopt at the same time and thought it would be neat to have cats from the same litter. Her last cat lived to be 23 years old and recently passed. She took one kitten (cosmo) and has a dog that loves cats. Cosmo is very outgoing and she liked him right away, so I think that he will be just fine with a doggy pal. Her son is 30 years old and has his own home. He wanted a pair from the beginning (which I was very happy about). He fell in love with olive(who is the one I was planning on keeping) and Alice, who are both just very sweet and loving.

I decided I was being a little selfish wanting to keep olive. Honey is just so shy and I knew that the adopters wanted an affectionate kitten, so I let them have the pick of all 4. Honey is also mommas girl, she just adores minnie so I dont mind keeping her so she can be with her for now. I still do want to find a forever home for her but i will be just as selective finding her a home.

Both the adopters were very excited and had all kinds of questions when they came over. They even sat at the shelter ALL DAY yesterday finalizing the adoption, since the shelter I am fostering for is doing "adoption olympics" this month and are completely swamped right now. When I met them there last night they still were happy as can be and were sooo patient even though it took all day to complete the adoption. She promised me they would send pics and updates, and even though it was sad to see them go I know they are in good hands and now I have room to help other kitties

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Premier Cat

You did GOOD!!! I'm so glad to hear that you took your time and found the right people from Craig's List because, as you said, they're not all the right people. The approach of having them write you something is really smart. It would weed out all the poeple who don't really care that much. And I would have to think that any potential adopter would have to respect your putting them through those paces. Doing it this way also gave them a chance to see the kitties in a home and get to know them a little, which is something I sure didn't have in the shelter.

Congrats!!! It'll be really fun to see the pictures. Feel free to post them here too.

Holly and Murphy
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Jr. Cat

Awww. I know exactly how that feels! I said goodbye to my 9th foster cat yesterday. It's always bittersweet.

Your screening process is a lot like ours at the humane society. Great job with that!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I may have to keep Honey- Banjo was cleaning her head last night and it was soooo cute. He loves having a little buddy around

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page