Am I a bad cat owner for wanting a kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Am I a bad cat owner for wanting a kitten?

My aunt just called me selfish for wanting another cat. She said I was a bad person for re-homing two cats(they were re-homed for there safety). She said the only reason I re-homed them because they were not kittens anymore. Which is SO not true!! Thunder and fat albert were literally trying to kill each other. It got bad enough where Thunder needed stiches. Since Dice passed away Yoda bonded with Thunder. Having to keep her from Thunder, Thunder from both cats it was stressing us all out. So my mom had a elderly person working "for" her and she took them. We sent Thunder first(with intentions on keeping Yoda). Well Yoda got really stressed without Thunder. So the people who took Thunder also took Yoda. They are loving and thirving in there new home. Truthfully I think they like it better there. Yoda was becoming skiddish of all the dogs/people coming and going through the house and Thunder and Albert were at each others throats constantly. So to me I had good intentions when i re-homed them. Do I feel guilty about it? Heck yeah! but now that I see how they are doing and thriving am I depressed about it and wish I didn't re-home them? No!

The reason for a kitten.
Albert hates being inside anymore. He spends most of his day sun bathing in the yard. When he comes in he meows till he is let out, again. He has even jumped out a window to get back outside :/ So i want to get a female kitten that will grow up as a strictly indoor cat. That way she does not have that drive that Albert has to get outside. It will be a female so Albert will get along with her. I feel horrible now that my aunt hit me with the whole Thunder and Yoda thing I HAVE tested Albert to make sure he gets along with females(and he does). I know some day Albert is going to get hit. I think that is another reason I want a kitten. So when Albert passes I will have a cat still to help grieve the loss with. I am not 100% sure or even 50% sure if I am def. getting a kitten but i really want one and might get one.

Do you guys think I am a mean/evil person for wanting a kitten?? I just don't know what to think right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Cool Cat

I think you need to look at Fat Albert's track record in regards to living with other cats, and rethink you're decision to adopt another.

I don't think you're mean/evil for wanting a kitten, and your aunt stepped out of line with what she said. But if the situation was bad enough that you had to rehome your other cats, you need to consider very carefully what's going to be best for Fat Albert, and that there's no guarantee he's going to get along with another cat just because it's a girl.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Albert was my first priority in my decision. I have had female cats over her and he gets along with them fine, always has. he just does not like males for some reason. No it wasn't just with one cat. I had a girl kitten I was watching for a bit and he did fine with with her. I also watched an older girl cat, again fine with her. I just need to make it clear he was my first priority in my decision making. But my aunt bringing up the Yoda and Thunder problem is just what got to me. Albert was also fine with Yoda(female). Yoda was re-homed with Thunder because of her bond with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Premier Cat

Ultimately who is going to be responsible for paying for a new cat? It's food and it's vet bills? Is this something you have a job and pay for, or is it Mom's responsibility?

Also what about school? At some point are you leaving for college? Will you be leaving a new kitten with your mom to take care of for you?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I will be paying for the cat's food. My mom and me would split vet bills. The cat will come with me when I leave for college, just like my dog.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
I know some day Albert is going to get hit. I think that is another reason I want a kitten.
Are you saying he is going to be hit by a car?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

With him constantly wanting/going outside I am afraid he is going to. I want him to be a strict inside cat but as I said before he jumped out the bathroom window to get outside. he has never like being inside 24/7.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicesmom View Post
I will be paying for the cat's food. My mom and me would split vet bills. The cat will come with me when I leave for college, just like my dog.
Wow, I had a heck of a place finding a place that would take pets at all much less a cat and a dog.

I say as long as you're the one that's going to pay for everything and it stays your responsibility go for it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Cool Cat

So you think he will be killed one day as an outdoor cat. And instead of doing everything you can to keep him safe and alive as an inside-only (like closing the bathroom window or build an outdoor enclosure), you decided to get another kitten so that you can move on easier when Albert is killed.

Oh well, I have no more comment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Wow, I had a heck of a place finding a place that would take pets at all much less a cat and a dog.
Two cats, a dog, and a ferret, iirc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page