Cats and Rabbits? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cats and Rabbits?

In all the excitement of getting my very first kitty I have completely forgotten about a rabbit I take care of during the winter time. My cousin has a rabbit that lives in a very nice outdoor cage in the summer, but as the winter months come he and the rabbit move. He goes to another part of the country from November to early march. While he's away his rabbit comes and stays with me. I have a large indoor cage set up in my house all winter. My cousin feels its too cold to have a rabbit be outside all year round.

So I will be getting the rabbit in November, but with a new kitty I'm worried that this will cause problems. The rabbit has been coming to me for three years now and it's pretty set in stone. I was wondering how cats and Rabbits get on. Rocco has the run of the house right now but how would he feel if there is suddenly a big cage in his place. My cousin said his friends cat has been around the rabbit and the cat got scared. I don't want Rocco to get scared. So is it possible for them both to live in the same house for a few months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Premier Cat

I have a friend who has 2 cats and a rabbit (and previously 2 cats and 3 rabbits), and she said they get along just fine. She has even seen one of the cats reaching into the rabbit's cage and petting it! It wasn't taking a swing at it; it was actually petting it. I told her we need this on videotape.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Cat Addict

I found a stray black rabbit in my driveway in the dead of winter and brought him into the house. I named him Hasbro. He had a pen in a spare room. I had a bunch of house cats at the time, five I think. They were curious about him. At night I would sit on the couch with Hasbro in my arms and the cats would sit around us. So they weren't aggressive towards him, but I would never have left them unsupervised. My cats do catch and eat bunnies outdoors, unfortunately.
So short answer - I think your situation is workable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Banned

I lived w/ cats and free-running house rabbits for many years. No problems. Sounds like this poor bunny never gets out of the cage though? Obviously there would be zero risk there.

If he DOES get some free-running time, obviously keep an eye on things and a spray bottle handy. The only real problem comes from young cats who want to play w/ the rabbit. Most domestic rabbits can take on (and actually injure or kill!) cats, but cats playing can cause abscesses, etc. So discourage any play behavior.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
I have a friend who has 2 cats and a rabbit (and previously 2 cats and 3 rabbits), and she said they get along just fine.
Haha, I'm sorry, but this sounds a bit sinister. What happened to the other two rabbits?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Premier Cat

They died, but it had nothing to do with the cats.

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Kitten

If the rabbit is secured in a cat-proof pen there shouldn't be a problem.

But cats can be unpredictable, I certainly wouldn't have the rabbit outside the pen without constant supervision.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Kitten

I have 3 cats and 2 rabbits. 2 of my cats (~ 3 years old) are totally fine with the rabbits and just like to watch them from a couple feet away. My kitten (~8 months) is a little more forward and tries to play with them which can become a problem if she plays too rough at times. The good thing is that both my rabbits are not afraid of the cats so they'll run right up to the cats and try to be the boss/claim their territory. If the rabbits were afraid and tried to run from the cats, it might encourage the cats instinct to chase them. However, I think most rabbits are usually pretty forward - one of mine has chased the cats out of their area several times. One thing I would suggest is making sure the rabbit has had time to explore the area they will be staying before introducing it to the cat. This way they are more comfortable and will be more likely to exert their "dominate" behavior. I would also suggest to supervise them at all times they are out together just in case and to keep them separate when you are not around.

Attached is the only picture I have of all 5 of them (not the best quality) but you can see that the rabbits could care less about the cats and the cats are a little more timid about them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	4723
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Banned

Yes, like Lisa I never had any trouble and generally rabbits are quite pushy.

One caveat: All my house rabbits were spayed/neutered, as all rabbits should be. If this rabbit in intact, that could cause problems. Rabbits are extremely hormonal and that can cause aggression. They may also try to mount the cats, which is generally not appreciated.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Kitten

I completely agree with the spayed/neutered comment by hoofmaiden. Both of my rabbits have been altered as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page