When to adopt? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

When to adopt?

For the past three years our house has been a two cat home, but this last week we had to say goodbye to our sweet Boober-kitty. Although he doesn't seem completely distraught, I have noticed in the days since that our other cat, Red, has been looking and calling for him sometimes, and he seems to want to spend more time curled up with me. My two boys used to spend a lot of their time together, play fighting, grooming one another, or curled up sleeping together.

I will be back to work and taking classes part time starting in September, and I am worried that Red will be lonely, especially since we adopted the boys together and he hasn't ever been an only kitty. Do you have any advice on when it's the right time to bring another kitty into our home? I'm not sure if it's too soon or not. I'm still really missing my baby, but I also know that I have lots of love to give. And I did visit the shelter and meet a very sweet, mellow two year old girl in need of a home this weekend, but haven't decided if it's the right choice to make yet.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Cool Cat

I am so sory for your loss.
IMO, there isn't a wrong time if you can afford it. You aren't replacing Boober, you are just adding to the family.
I fell in love with Maude over 36 years ago - in fact, I married my husband to get her. She has been gone over 30 years and I still miss her every day. But I also have love to give to other cats and dogs. I would hate to miss out on them.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Senior Cat

Its different for everyone, and my situation was different because i only had one cat, but i went the same day. It was the day before christmas and the empty house was just too hard to handle. I still miss my first cat very much and think about him all the time, but saving another cat in need was the best decision i ever made

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Kitten

As people have said it's a very individual process, my personal opinion tends to be that you should take all the time you need to grieve, but if you come across a cat that makes an impression on your heart then the time is right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Curwhibble; 08-13-2012 at 11:39 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks guys. I've thought about it, and although I'm still very saddened about Boober's loss, I also know we can and will love another kitty. After sleeping on it I decided that the sweet girl I met this weekend was lovely and I think--hope--she will be a good fit for our family and my Red cat. I filled out the adoption application for her this morning, and would like to bring her home soon.

I will let you all know how it goes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Premier Cat

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and I hope your new adoption goes well. Now is likely a good time to adopt, since you're currently at home and will have the time to deal with the initial introduction of the two cats, and ensure they're both settled (hopefully!) before you start back to work and school in September.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Tom Cat

I'm sorry for your loss too. I lost my 17 year old cat, Pookie, in May and I swore I wouldn't get another for a long time. But then my moms neighbor had kittens, and I didn't want to look at them, but I did. I ended up not getting one of those, but that did start me looking and I got an adult cat at the end of June. She's a perfect fit and I never regreted it for a second.

Good luck with your adoption, post some pics!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I brought our new kitty home last night. I'm not one-hundred percent sure yet what we're going to call her... the folks at the shelter called her Hanna, and I intended to pick something different, but I haven't thought of anything yet that seems to fit her. So, she may be little miss Hanna for life.

She's got quarters in our spare bedroom for now. I had the door open for a little bit today so she and Red could have a look at each other, and for a little while the two cats did just fine, but then there was a little hissing, so I let everyone have their space. I know it will take some time for them to be ready to be buddies. She's a total sweetheart, though, and loves to be petted and played with... and she does the cutest little chirping-meow when someone opens up the door to come visit her. I think she's going to fit in well once we get the kitties (and our dog) settled in together.

I'll try to snap a picture of her sometime tomorrow to share, she's a cutie
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Tom Cat

Congratulations on your new kitty!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Senior Cat

Yay! That's great news, so exciting. Congrats, can't wait to see pics

"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page