30 cats and 2... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 979
30 cats and 2...

Hi.

I had to post about this.

The shelter I volunteer at will be getting a warrant to seize 30 cats and 2 wild raccoons from a lady soon. This insane lady went out on a river and trapped 2 raccoons. Raccoons can carry rabies and show no symptoms at all. The state humane society will probably called in so I probably won't get to help. The cats are all sick and we don't have the resources to capture them, vet them, and house them all.

It is actually illegal to have raccoons where she lives without a permit from the state. She also isn't supposed to have more than 5 cats as per city ordinance. That ordinance is selectively enforced though. AC doesn't have resources to actively find people who violate it. If you take care of your animals, AC doesn't bother.

So yeah... that's my story for the day!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scottd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Premier Cat
 
spirite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 5,540
OMG, a hoarder. Are the cats feral or will you be able to get some adopted? She didn't have the cats and raccoons living inside did she?

Are the 30 cats all of the cats or is she being allowed to keep some? That's the worrisome part. If they let her keep cats, the chances she'll s/n and keep this from happening again seem pretty small.
spirite is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
OMG, a hoarder. Are the cats feral or will you be able to get some adopted? She didn't have the cats and raccoons living inside did she?

Are the 30 cats all of the cats or is she being allowed to keep some? That's the worrisome part. If they let her keep cats, the chances she'll s/n and keep this from happening again seem pretty small.
I have no idea if they're feral or not. She does have them all inside.

She probably won't be keeping any. When they prosecute cases here, they are court ordered from having any more pets. If they violate the order, they get put in jail.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scottd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Premier Cat
 
Mitts & Tess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,594
You need to check to make sure these cats wont be euthanized. Usually when large siezures happen, it gets in the newspaper and people start donating money to the shelter which is taking on the problem.

I remember Dave posting about a horder in Florida. There were cats which were blind and they were killed ala euthanized is the sanitized word. I was pretty upset to hear that. If a shelter is not going to medically rescue in a hording situation then dont take it on. Seems like atleast once a year a hoarder is busted in Tucson. The animal loves are always generous to help out.

I hope this will be a happy ending for these cats. Most likely your shelter will need lots of extra hands dealing with the removal of these poor kitties. I hope you can help.
Mitts & Tess is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 979
As far as I know, we won't be doing the actual seizure (just getting the warrant to do so) but from past experience, the animals are seized, vetted, and put up for adoption. If any animals are deemed too ill to be saved by the veterinarian, they are euthanized though. A blind cat that is healthy or can be brought back to health would not be euthanized.

We don't have resources to do it. We will call in the state humane society.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scottd is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Premier Cat
 
Mitts & Tess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,594
Just a FYI. All Humane Societies are independent. There are no state HS. Each one has their own philosophy. In Arizona we have one that is no kill equation and there is one that is a **** hole, which weve had horrible experiencces with. They each have their own level of resources and some that work closely with other rescues in their area. It all depends on their director of each shelter. Do your home work before you reach out for help. Inquire with other rescues and TNR groups state wide on how to orchestrate this removal.

The kitties futures hang in the balance. Its heart breaking dealing with hoarders. They are blindly neglectful on a large scale. It will rip you up. My Tnr group has been called in on a few in our area by the sheriff. Made me want to euthanize the hoarders they were so heartless. And Im usually the controled member going in to situations! I was disturbed for months afterwards.
Mitts & Tess is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Senior Cat
 
shan841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Parkville, MD
Posts: 723
Yeah every once in a while I hear about an emergency need for foster/rescue when my shelter takes in animals from a hoarding situation. It really is heartbreaking. Taking that many animals in at one time when a shelter is already full is just a nightmare


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
shan841 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Just a FYI. All Humane Societies are independent. There are no state HS. Each one has their own philosophy. In Arizona we have one that is no kill equation and there is one that is a **** hole, which weve had horrible experiencces with. They each have their own level of resources and some that work closely with other rescues in their area. It all depends on their director of each shelter. Do your home work before you reach out for help. Inquire with other rescues and TNR groups state wide on how to orchestrate this removal.

The kitties futures hang in the balance. Its heart breaking dealing with hoarders. They are blindly neglectful on a large scale. It will rip you up. My Tnr group has been called in on a few in our area by the sheriff. Made me want to euthanize the hoarders they were so heartless. And Im usually the controled member going in to situations! I was disturbed for months afterwards.
I have no control over what happens regardless. I'm just a volunteer. I clean up after cats and show people around when they come to adopt. I will mention the possibility of getting other groups involved.

I say state HS because there's only 1 here. There policy is to only euthanize if there is a medical necessity or so agressive they can't be worked with as advised by a licensed veterinarian. The latter usually doesn't apply to cats but when you get nearly ate alive just by trying to put food in a cage with a dog that has been used for fighting, you realize that sometimes there is no other option.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scottd is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Premier Cat
 
Mitts & Tess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,594
Knowledge is power. I always would talk to the directors of shelters I volunteered at. Give it a shot. There are lots of options for the cats. Im willing to brain storm with you. The more rescues calles in to help mean more resources and ideas to keep the cats from being euthanized.

Im uncertain what you meant by cats put in cages with dogs which will eat them alive. Surely you arent saying your shelter does this so Im confused.
Mitts & Tess is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Knowledge is power. I always would talk to the directors of shelters I volunteered at. Give it a shot. There are lots of options for the cats. Im willing to brain storm with you. The more rescues calles in to help mean more resources and ideas to keep the cats from being euthanized.

Im uncertain what you meant by cats put in cages with dogs which will eat them alive. Surely you arent saying your shelter does this so Im confused.
Of course not! Cats and dogs aren't even in the same room. I think you misread what I posted.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scottd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome