How do you let go of fosters? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

How do you let go of fosters?

So, we're down to one kitten from our first batch of fosters. He goes to Petco tomorrow and will most likely be adopted - he's pretty and very very sweet. I think because he's the last one - all our attention has been focused on him. Also, when his last sibling was adopted last weekend, he became a little needier and even more loving towards us. I've been sad all day about it and am dreading tomorrow. My youngest child cried this afternoon about it.

I know that we can help more cats by letting him go. We also have that Mama cat and 5 babies in my daughter's room. I know we'll soon have our hands full soon with them (they're currently 10 days old). I know logically that I need to let him go. But its so hard.

I'm usually a little more pragmatic than this .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Cat

It's why I don't think I could ever become a foster I get way to attached...
I know its hard but focus on the new cat family. Those 10 week old kittens are just waiting for your love and devotion I admire your dedication! I know our shelter is overrun with cats and kittens right now. There is even a waitlist.... if it wasn't for people like you those poor animals would have nowhere to go!
I am sure that Petco will do proper screening for new owners and that your little kitten will be going to a great home!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Tom Cat

I don't know how I'm going to let go of my foster, she's pretty awesome...I just keep telling myself that I can't help any more if I keep this one. I was offered a mom with 5 babies first and I passed on them, partly because I found myself without even thinking about it, deciding which kitten I would keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you guys. I'm leaving in two minutes and everybody's saying goodbye to him. I think I'll get my husband to put him in the carrier. I shouldn't have put on mascara today!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Premier Cat

Aww, I'm sorry this is so hard for you and your family.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Cool Cat

You are doing the right thing even though it's hard to let go. Hope he gets adopted soon. Let us know how it goes.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well, Angel was adopted today. It was a nice family and his personality fits wonderfully with them. He's exceptionally cuddly, but playful and not shy - exactly what they were hoping for.

I am still sad, but I think I'll be okay. I cleaned up his litter box, picked up the paper bags he liked to play with and now I just have to take his toy out of the window.

Part of me wishes we had adopted him, but we have this new batch of babies and I know once they hit 3-4 weeks that they'll be a handful. I guess I'll grieve a little and let him go. But it really is hard.

And I used to be more of a dog person .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Jr. Cat

It does get easier, although there will always be special ones who tug at your heart strings more than others but knowing that I have to stop saving lives if I keep any (already have 2 of my own in a 1 br apt) is enough to keep me from getting too attached. The bottle baby I had this summer would have been the hardest to say goodbye to out of all my fosters if she had made it to the adoption phase. Saying goodbye the other way was by far the hardest thing I've had to do.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Just an update. The family who adopted our baby sent me a picture - he looked so happy. They allow him to sleep with them (something even I didn't do ). I still miss him, but I feel good knowing that he will be happy and spoiled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page