Opinions on this situation? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Opinions on this situation?

This is a little similar to a recent post but not as extreme. My next door neighbor of 6 years died last November. She had two cats. After she died her family came and cleared everything out of the house, had an estate sale, this was in like February of this year, and the house has been vacant ever since but not for sale. A couple of days ago my son told me there was a cat in the house. I went over and looked in the windows and sure enough, one of the cats was in the window looking back at me. Everything appears to be gone from the house, I literally only saw a broom, dustpan, and a can of friskies on the counter. Now someone is feeding the cat, she looked ok, but I only see a car over there about once every week to two weeks. I'm not sure what to think about this situation. I want to go over in the morning and put a note on the door saying I live next door and I can come over and check on the cat during the week. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Premier Cat

Oh my goodness, the poor kitty! Do you think the other cat might be there too? If someone only comes once every week to 2 weeks, what kind of condition is that house going to be in? Litterbox? Yikes.

That's really, really weird to just leave a cat there.

Any chance you could catch the person during a visit? Maybe you can get a sense of what kind of person this is before you leave a note. I don't see how anyone could take offense at your offer. If it were me, I'd be so grateful, but you never know.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 AM
Tom Cat

I would post a note on the door or talk to the person if you see him/her. It is possible the owner/buyer thought the cat was lost and the cat made it back in to the house through some opening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Senior Cat

I would put a note in an envelope and slide it under the door. If its only getting checked on once every two weeks it won't be in good condition for long. Poor thing.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Cool Cat

Leave the note. It can do no harm. The cat may have been left there to discourage rodents from moving in. It does happen.

JusJim
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Cat Addict

I'd definitely try to make contact.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I left a note today, I'm also going to try to catch them when I see a car over there. I looked in the windows again to try to see if it's one or two cats, but I didn't see either. She had a solid black cat and a tortie, the one I saw is the tortie. I did see the litterbox and a bag of litter.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Cat Addict

the note can't hurt, but i can hardly see only checking on cats once or twice a week. maybe they have someone in the neighborhood with a key going over and that's why you don't see a car. otherwise, i can't imagine trying to sell a house where cats have been living unsupervised.

since you live next door maybe you can offer to "foster-supervise" (if you don't have way too many things to do already) the cat until it gets adopted out? that way you don't have to put your own through anything, and if you just put an ad up explaining the situation maybe someone will take it (them?). and just advertise a price that you can tell the person calling is waived if you think they're okay, so you can weed out the people who call for free cats because they have ill intentions. i know that sounds incredible but people do it.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

There could be another neighbor checking on her, I hadn't considered that. I had thought that if they do want to rehome the cat I could see if the rescue I volunteer with would do a courtesy listing. The house isn't for sale and the situation seems like it would be ok provided someone was checking in often. It must be so boring for the cat though, especially if there is only the one.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

So a new development, I heard from the lady's daughter who said I can have the cat or see if the rescue I volunteer with can adopt it out. She also said it's not the nicest cat ever. I don't want another cat so I'm going to see if the rescue will list her and just have her stay next door for now. She's going to let me in over there so I can see for myself what she's like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page